30 Gallon Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on the attitude of the fish. Some tiger barbs might be friendly while others just don't like other fish. You probably won't know for sure until it's too late. It's the same idea as keeping a single betta in a community tank. It can be done but it depends on the fish.
You can probably watch them in the store and see how they act.

Okay. So look for super calm fish without nipping while at the store? If I do get the tiger barbs and the cories, can I get a low tech and low light moss or carpeting live plant to protect the cories? Or will a carpeting plant harm the cories ability to nose through the sand? (I know nothing about live plants and fish behavior towards said live plants so sorry if this is a dumb question)

Maybe. Make sure to keep the barbs in a group of at least 5. They should be ok with the corys but put the corydoras in first so they can find hiding spots if necessary.
Not sure about the carpet plants. I know corys like to dig
. Lowlights plants work fine for the fish. You will need stronger lights for carpeting plants.

Okay. I'll probably pass on the carpeting plants for now unless someone who has experience with both cories and carpeting plants chimes in. I'll probably do both gold barbs and tiger barbs with the cories but if the tigers are too aggressive then I'll return/exchange them for more gold barbs or cherry barbs. Hopefully I won't have to do that though because the tigers look super cool :)

And I'll definitely be doing the cories first, give them a week and then get the gold and tigers from the same place. Give the entire tank four more weeks and then put the older cory in. Reading about platies versus barbs makes me a bit nervous so I'm probably not going to put the platies in the 30 gallon, itll be safer for them to stay put in the 10 gallon.

Okay so when I type those numbers into aqadvisor it says that my tank would be overstocked.

6 bronze cory (I couldn't find the green cory catfish label)
5 gold barb
8 tiger barb

How would I be overstocked? I'm not understanding how cory cats would take up 60% of my tank stock... someone explain? Or is it just cuz I'm using the wrong cory cat label? I have the green cory catfish.

It's because it is a full bodied fish so they produce more waste than a slimmer fish like a barb would.

Okay... do you think my list would still be possible or would I need a larger tank/less fish?

Obviously I don't want to lose fish or have the aquarium be a stressful thing for me.

Not sure I would risk the tiger barbs with other barbs. Like I said earlier I'm sure they will be fine with the cory cats.
I'm not sure if it's true but maybe keep the tigers in an odd number to reduce aggression.

Your stocking is fine. I've never had luck with tiger Barb's. They always fin nipped, especially my larger, slower large fin fish. Not to say this will happen to you but they are known fin nippers.

Yeah I've been reading that. I'm going to continue doing research and think about it. If I do go with them then the platies will stay in their tank because they would probably get nipped at.

Back
Top Bottom