30 gallon stocking strategy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bucky Katt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After much research and everyone's helpful suggestions, I think I am going with a community tank. Here is what I am leaning towards.

2-3 Bolivian Rams ( 1 male and 2 females preferably, since they will be hard to differentiate)
6-7 Neon Tetras
6-7 Zebra Danios, Harlequin Rasboras or Black Phantom or other Central/South American Tetras
4-5 Peppered or Panda Cories

Anyone see any compatability issures here? I think I will be fully stocked with fish that are decently colored and have good personalities.

Wow - I really like that ! Wish I had thought of it :) of the third group I love the Harlequin Rosboras. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE my panda cories.

Its going to be GORGEOUS - can't wait to see pics !

I gotta agree. I love my Harlies and Pandas. I think you should get them. Another type of tetra that would be great are lemon tetras. The are a great yellow color and more entertaining than neons. They would go great with Harlies!

I like the lemon Tetras too. But I am having a hard time finding a place that sells them in my area. I have time to shop around though, since I am only 1 week into my fishless cycle. When I am ready to start stocking, I will again try to find the lemon Tetras, if I cannot find them I may stick to the neons.

If you find the neons to be senitive (which they are) and unable to handle a newly cycled tank, try white cloud minnows.

My wife does not like white cloud minnows so they are not an option. If neons are that sensitive then I may try another colorful but more hardy tetra

What about glowlights...I don't think they are as sensitive.

Or...black neons, flame tetras, black phantoms, hatchetfish, head and tailights, rummynose, and pristellas are all good peaceful types of tetras. The phantoms are the nippiest out of the ones I mentioned.

What about dwarf neon rainbowfish? They stay about 2 inches and are very pretty. I think threadfin rainbows stay pretty small also.

The threadfin rainbows only get to about 1.3".

Silvertip, diamond, or bleeding heart tetras could also work.

Back
Top Bottom