30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KNH6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started up a 30 gallon tank. Currently I have a common pleco, a common goldfish, and 6 silver tipped tetras. Any suggestions on what fish I should get next!? And some decoration suggestions? Need help!

Remove the gold fish it's cold water and the rest are tropical take it back to the store or it will be dead very soon have you cycled the tank or is this a brand new set up do u have any live plants in the tank

I have a heater so the tetras are okay. I'm looking to get rid of the goldfish as I know it's not suitable for my tank. It's been cycled. I've had the tank running for about a month now .

You could check out some types of Cory cats! Buy keep in mind that these fish like to be schools of at least 3.

I will definitely look into those! No I don't have any live plants.

Welcome to AA!

Unfortunately the goldfish is unsuitable for a tropical fish tank and not in such a small tank. It is indeed a coldwater fish, will grow huge, produces copious amounts of waste, and has a high bio-load.

Also a common pleco is another fish unsuitable for such a small tank. They get very large and also have a high bio-load. A Bristlenose, Rubberlip, or Bulldog Pleco would work very nicely in this size tank. But no pleco should be added until the tank has begun to produce diatoms and algae as a pleco can starve if not given supplemental food in a new tank.

Since you already have 6 silver tipped tetra's you need to stop with them for now and do a fish in cycle. Here is a link you need to read and follow the instructions how to cycle your tank. After your tank is cycled you can talk about adding other fish....I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Okay well if you want a colourful tank

Maybe some harlequin rasaboa neon tetra cherry barb dwarf gourami's are all beautiful fish I have all of the above in a community tank

Just because a tank has been set up for a month doesn't mean it's cycled. What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? Those readings will determine if the tank is indeed cycled.

Once the tank is cycled, a really small and colorful fish is the endlers live bearers.

Back
Top Bottom