30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Landonwyeley16

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I have posted threads asking for ideas of fish in my new 36 gallon tank. I have taken all sugjestions and come to the conclusion:
5 flame tetras
5 lemon tetras
1 pearl gourami
2-3 Bolivian rams
3 yo-yo loaches
1 bn pleco
If u ave any ideas or suggestions I will happily except any edvice u have to offer.

Ok 36 gallon tank update. It has been 4 months (mid august) since then I have cycled my tank, purchased 9 flame tetras, and 2 albino bristle nose plecos. They all seem happy and everyone gets along very well I am slowly exchanging fake plants for real ones. I did buy the plecos a little while after the tetras at pet smart and noticed I got more then I bargained for I saw that some snails some how made their way into my tank I don't know what kind they are and, they are really small but, I have like 4-5 in there all of a sudden. It is not a huge problem I plan to get some yo-yo loaches within the month but ya still it was as surprise. I do have a question concerning the plecos tho. How long before they start growing bristles? I bought two in hopes one would be a male but it is very hard to tell one is clearly bigger then the other pushing maybe 2 inches the other is smaller maybe a little over an inch. So ya what size should I notice bristles and when? I have only had them for a couple of days but it would be good to know. Thank you.

It will be around 4 inches when they become sexually mature if ones a male it will grow bristles. Also I would change your stock up now I would only get a single gourami since you have so 2 plecos (crap machines) and more tetras than before.

Plecos poop a LOT! Tetras are much lower bioload so you can have more of them by only having one gourami. I would stick to just one type of tetra tho. A large school looks much more impressive than two smaller schools.

Ok thanks do u think by just sticking with the tetras I have it would make up for the huge bio load the plecos will give off. And if I could get more tetras how much more I already have 9.

I would switch your stock now to

2- BN plecos
4- Yoyo loaches
2- Bolivian Rams
1- Pearl Gourami
12- Flame Tetras

Ok that sounds good I did kinda want more tetras but 4 yo-yo loaches I heard they can play rough sometimes and I wanted an odd number to even out the pecking order or do u think they would be fine?

If it were me I would only do 1 BN. I had 2 females in a 36g and they would have territorial arguments and squabbles over algae wafers and it just didn't seem like there was enough territory for both of them full grown, so I gave one to a friend. Plus it never hurts to under stock. Gives you more room for error and those times where you just *have* to have a new fish you come across.
Edit: after looking at that stock list a second time.. That's a lot of fish josh7. It might even still be overstocked with one BN. What does Aquadvisor say?
Edit#2: OP, also I would be weary of how the yoyos might interact with the rams since they both occupy the lower levels of the tank and yoyos have a reputation of being boisterous. Just make sure to do your research before accepting anything anyone says on here is truth :)

I have has yoyos and I didn't have issues but i know some people do its up to you if you want to risk the rams with them you can try. Or you can do kuhli loaches or Angelicas loaches.

Botia-histrionica-x-Chromobotia-macracanthus.jpg
Botia Histrionica "burmese loach" are generally mellower than Yo-Yo loaches and would be a better fit.

Interesting and ya it did seem overstocked the bn plecos were kinda a surprise I did not plan to buy them that day and when I did I wanted a good chance at getting a boy. If I were to chose between the rams and the yo-yo loaches tho I would do the yo-yos the rams sure they are beautiful but they are also very expensive and I heard they are also very sensitive fish I don't know if it would b worth the risk. I might just stick with the plecos and once they reach maturity I may give one away but I will be getting the yo-yos but thanks for the new species of loach it looks cool I will do some research and who knows I may have a change of heart.

This is a pick of my tank it is much larger I had to cut out some and if you can see one of the bn plecos under the driftwood.

Attachments

• image-1207322991.jpg
    image-1207322991.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2757022497.jpg
    image-2757022497.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 64
Your tank is beautiful!
Is that java fern in the front? If so, make sure the rhizome is not buried under the substrate.

Oh god pleas help I feel I might have a ick infestation I was looking at some of my tetras today and they all seem to have white spots on their tails. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I just did a water change yesterday 25% and I have not seen one of my plecos all morning. Pleas help.

Sorry about the low quality but here are some picks I can't risk loosing any of my fish pleas help.

Attachments

• image-237754234.jpg
    image-237754234.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 39
  • image-395066500.jpg
    image-395066500.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom