30g additional tank mate questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey2619

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I have a 30 gallon, and I currently have a pearl gourami and an angelfish in there (not sure what type of angel). The gourami is about 3 or 4 years old, and the angel about 3. I also have a few amazon swords in there that keep multiplying.:D

But I'm looking for a few new tankmates to put in there. I don't have good luck with neon tetras, seems like a lot of them get the neon tetra disease with lumps in their side or what have you, and I feel bad for the little critters, so I don't want them anymore.

Anyone have any suggestions for new stock?

Neons aren't really a great choice with angelfish anyway, as they tend to get eaten when the angel grows.

Most tetras that are larger-bodied than neons should do well with your current fish. Avoid nippy species like serpaes, Buenos Aires, etc... they work out sometimes, but sometimes end up nipping fins. Lemons, diamonds, columbians, etc. are good choices. Or, you could try larger rasboras, like scissortails or brilliants.

Also, I'd like to note, that since I have a flourescent fixture on the top of the tank in addition to the regular hood flourescent, I'm having a little bit of an algae outbreak, so an algae eater, whether it be shrimp or what have you would be nice. Any more suggestions?

A bristlenose pleco would work. You could do a school of 6-8 of the tetra suggested along with a BN as long as you stock gradually and test regularly IMO.

You could get some cories if you want some more activity on the bottom of your tank.
Otos would be a good alternative to a pleco for algae control.

My Clown pleco seems to keep the algae under control and he's "cuter" than a bristlenose and hardier than an oto.

As for the tetras, I wouldn't rule them out entirely. With two larger fish, I think a school of smaller ones would be nice. Consider black or red phantoms. Not as nippy as Serpaes. Might also think about Harlequin Rasboras.

Harlequins! The LFS keeps them with some 4-5" angels in a display tank. I think they look bigger than they are and that may be the trick to their cohabitation.

Back
Top Bottom