30g Iwagumi Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon.goby

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all! I've decided to take my empty 30g out of storage and start a Iwagumi style aquarium. Its going to have dwarf baby tears for the carpet and maybe some moss or swords for the back but I'm not positive. Ok anyway, I've been having a lot of trouble for finding ideas on stocking this tank. Right now I'm thinking:

16 Neon Tetras
16 Cardinal Tetras
1 Flame Dwarf Gourami
5 Otos
5 Cherry Shrimp

I'm very interested in the Otos and tetras but I'm always up for suggestions.:)

Any particular reason you're going with neons and cardinals? Personally I'd skip the neons and just go with a school of 15 or so cardinals. 30 tetras in a 30g iwagumi seems a tad too busy, as you want some empty space too. The rest sounds solid though, although those RCS could become snacks without much cover.

Any particular reason you're going with neons and cardinals? Personally I'd skip the neons and just go with a school of 15 or so cardinals. 30 tetras in a 30g iwagumi seems a tad too busy, as you want some empty space too. The rest sounds solid though, although those RCS could become snacks without much cover.

Ok thanks! Any ideas on gouramis? I've never had one before so idk which one to buy or how to care for them. What's a good species?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like honey gouramis a lot for smaller tanks. They are very peaceful and tend to be a bit healthier than dwarf gouramis. Like all gouramis though they prefer cover and shaded areas so sometimes iwagumi setups aren't the best fit. In bright light with no shade their colors can become a little washed out.

I like honey gouramis a lot for smaller tanks. They are very peaceful and tend to be a bit healthier than dwarf gouramis. Like all gouramis though they prefer cover and shaded areas so sometimes iwagumi setups aren't the best fit. In bright light with no shade their colors can become a little washed out.

Hmmm ok. What other fish could I use that are a bigger than the neons but won't eat them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could try fish like a ram, apisto, betta, or badis. Blyxa japonica is a good pairing with HC in iwagumi scapes.

Rams and apistos are cichlids. An angel is another option although it could potentially go after smaller tetras. Not a ton of cichlid options for that size tank outside of the usual South American dwarf types.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An iwagumi would not be a good setup for a dwarf cichlid there isn't enough cover to make them feel comfortable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

iwagumi setups are meant to be more about the aquascape with the fish as an accent. You usually will want to go with nano fish species to give the scape a large feel. Boraras brigittae is a popular nano fish with awesome coloration and stays very small. I would say go with 15 Boraras brigittae, 5 ottos, and whatever shrimp you want. Just a suggestion. In the end you decide on what YOU want, It doesn't matter what We want! :ROFLMAO:

Rams and apistos are cichlids. An angel is another option although it could potentially go after smaller tetras. Not a ton of cichlid options for that size tank outside of the usual South American dwarf types.

I agree with this in most cases. In a two plant layout though I do think the combination of hardscape and a taller plant like blyxa could create enough cover for a single ram.

Back
Top Bottom