30G Planted Barb Tank - Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see my mts maybe 1/7 days. And every time I just see more. Otherwise I assume they are hanging out min my PFS.

I have about 30 or so of them, and I usually see at least 10 or 12 that I can count. Then again, they are the only thing in there right now, barely any decor yet (still working on that) so maybe that is why. I like when I go up to the tank and see the little tracks through the sand. lol

I'm thinking it's a rabbit because MGamer doesn't have MTS for sale on his website. We'll see :p

Also, no worries on the picture requests gang. You can ask for pics of anything in my tank, any time :D

Looks like MTS to me. We're breeding rabbit snails and the babies just look like mini adults. They are easy to tell apart from MTS when you're able to compare them up close. :)

Here is a cool macro shot of my little snail:

I wish my camera wasn't so noisy though.

Edit: No good shots of the little mysterious snail, though. He has been in the big cave all day.

I don't know how I missed this, but great job and I'm stoked to see it stocked. I love barb tanks and I'm sure its gonna look great. I'm just jelous you found a 30 long. Haha

Well it looks like I will actually be getting my fish tomorrow :D

I am setting up my QT now. Stand by for amazing fish fun!

Edit: QT is set up and stable with dechlored water at 78-80 Fahrenheit, cycled filter on the back.

My plan is to do 50% PWC 3x a week. In the big tank, that means dose Day 1 50% PWC and KNO3, Day 2 KH2PO4, repeat. I sure am glad I got a python :D

I'll keep up this schedule for 2 weeks, on the main tank. I'll just test levels on the 10g to see how fast they rise, and decide then whether to continue with the PWCs 3x a week for the entire QT period.

And maybe this will help with the ID - here's a frontal shot of my little identity crisis snail :D

The store didn't have any green Tiger Barbs, and with just 1 QT I want to buy all the Tigers at once, so I waited on those.

I picked up 11 Gold Metallic Barbs though. Pics! They're acclimating now.

Unfortunately one has a small wound or disease :(

I couldn't get any pics that show it better than that... which is odd, because it actually is on the other side of the fish.

One of them also has a red dot on his nose.

Well, here's my Full Tank Shot with the barbs :D

... you may be asking yourself, where are the barbs? :lol:

I guess they feel safe in numbers right now, because they're all 11 in that big cave. Sometimes a group will break off, but they immediately swim to my other cave, or the place where all the DW cross.

Well it looks like I will actually be getting my fish tomorrow :D

I am setting up my QT now. Stand by for amazing fish fun!

Edit: QT is set up and stable with dechlored water at 78-80 Fahrenheit, cycled filter on the back.

My plan is to do 50% PWC 3x a week. In the big tank, that means dose Day 1 50% PWC and KNO3, Day 2 KH2PO4, repeat. I sure am glad I got a python :D

I'll keep up this schedule for 2 weeks, on the main tank. I'll just test levels on the 10g to see how fast they rise, and decide then whether to continue with the PWCs 3x a week for the entire QT period.

And maybe this will help with the ID - here's a frontal shot of my little identity crisis snail :D

The snail shell is a little weird. I saw some assassin snails today, and the shape of that shell kind of reminds me of them.

I hope it's not an assassin for my nerite's sake :p But that would make getting MTS a bit less daunting.

The poor fish don't like the lights so I will do briefer periods until they're comfortable. I did get some pictures with the lights out.

I am taking lots of pictures, if you couldn't tell.

If I can ID a disease I will treat it. Since I suspect something bacterial I am going to open the tank lid to let it cool a little.

As far as the little Gold Barbs are concerned, I am very pleased with their activity and appearance, once I turn the lights off. :lol: They break off into ones to fours and swoop around, but there's almost always a hive of activity somewhere. They also eat voraciously :)

Looks like they got a little color back, that's good. Do you have some melafix and pimafix on hand incase it is something like columnaris? Some fw salt wouldn't hurt either.

Wow they dominated that food! Lol. That **** snail has me wondering. It looks like MTS, but the tip isn't pointy and it seems like my MTS are skinnier than that. And longer.

I am starting to lean towards rabbit.

Back
Top Bottom