30G Planted Barb Tank - Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Gold Barbs are doing well. The red bump is even going down! :) I am going to QT the affected individual though.

In the meantime I will post about what I've been doing on this tank lately - upping my CO2 production!

I went from this...

taylorodw said:

To this!

FYI, for anyone considering DIY CO2 for their plants - those are just two juice bottles. I drank the juice (mmm), then ran hot water into the bottle, capped it and shook it. I poured it out. Then I filled the bottles with tank water, and put into each bottle 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 tsp yeast. Change out the mixture in one of the bottles each week (making sure to leave some of the nice yummy goopy water at the bottom to kickstart it). Then run the airlines like this:

The two outer airlines go from the CO2 bottles, into this empty bottle. Then the middle airline goes up to the tank. This does two things. Firstly, it ensures that CO2 input is equalized - no more or less is coming into one area of the tank, because there's only one input. Since DIY CO2 isn't totally consistent, the two bottles are run on different cycles so one should always be in peak production. Secondly, should a bottle spill over, it will collect in this middleman bottle instead of wiping out my tank! :D

This is where the airline goes into the tank. It's the input for my HOB filter. The impeller is turned into a needlewheel to improve CO2 surface area - too in-depth for this post, but basically the smaller the bubbles, the better!

Anyway, I hoped you liked reading how I vastly improved my tank's CO2 level. FYI, every single one of my plants is pearling right now :)

I'm wondering what would happen if you added a third line to each bottle with some airline connected to a check valve? That way the yeast population won't suffocate?

Well the yeast has been doing fine :p Plus I have a lot in store for my CO2 in the upcoming weeks anyway.

Moving on, the bump isn't red at all and is almost entirely gone :)

I pretty much quadrupled my plant mass, and re-scaped... anybody interested in a pic or two? My Barbs have also colored up nicely :D

The yeast, to produce alcohol and thus CO2 must be kept in anaerobic conditions. They have to consume all the O2 so they can begin the formation of the anaerobic products of taking sugar and making alcohol and CO2.

I concur Pics! Hey, if you have any pruned J fern you mind tossing a bit my way? :D.

Nice co2 diffuser btw. I just feed mine into my aqua clear power head and have another nozzle that points downward so that the co2 has to go through the water column twice.

:lol: Tigga Barbs this week if my QT can handle it.

Crepe, I wish my java fern was doing well, but actually all the leaves have turned pin-holey. Otherwise I'd gladly send you some.

Pinholes in the leaves mean potassium deficiency, unless they are still adjusting. Today was the end of week 2 for my original plants and the Java Ferns and Willow Moss look the roughest. Anubias took some time but is now sending out new growth. The Cryptocorynes (except 2) and the Wisteria are doing well.

I got my other plants Monday (Water Sprite and Ludwigia Repens) and I haven't really seen any growth or rot. With this much Water Sprite it's hard to pick out individual new growth :p and the Ludwigia may have grown a little. I hope it stays red in my tank... Although sooner or later I'll be high-tech on this setup.

Here are some pics.

FTS:

The Gold Barbs:

if i decide to go with the planted route, water sprite is one of my choices, so if you do have a ton, ill buy some off you ^_^ i really like your tank, cant wait to see the tigga babs

Tank looks excellent!

Almost makes me want to start a new tank (just finished one last weekend) Oh wait, I will be later this fall. *Sigh* Sooooo far away!

Anyways, something I learned with my repens, to get those rich red colors, I dose with Iron. I had been reading on "red" plants and found that iron helps get those reds. I've been doing that with the repens in our 40, along with CO2 and higher lighting and have gotten some beautiful reds.

Also something I've read and something Crepe told me is you can starve them of nitrates yet still provide high lighting although for some plants, this isn't always the best choice.

Looking great taylor! My java ferns look like that too, I got them in the other dady with the GWCs. I don't know what to do with them lol. I hope they are getting enough light, but I don't have my new lights in yet

If you have a light on there, they're almost guaranteed to have enough light to live, even if they don't thrive. They'll survive without growing for long periods.

I am hoping the pruning helps :) The Gold Barbs like the new scape with more open space between plants, too! They chase each other through the little water sprite forests.

Once it grows in I'm gonna go for that amano "V" shape and have the right side be the "foreground"...

Edit: Here is my plan for the next few months.

Get my "tigga babs" as Maxima said :lol:
Make my wiring nice and neat, and mount it under the tank... this includes putting lights and an airstone on a timer
Upgrade to SunSun HW-302 canister (no UV)
Upgrade CO2 diffusion method (either Tom Barr powerhead method or Rex Griggs PVC method)
(pause as I save money, if I haven't already paid off my ticket)
Go full-on injected CO2 :eek:
Replace my 39w actinic bulb with another 6700k temperature bulb

And at that point I'll have a high light, high tech tank :)

So tag along for the fun, and if I don't update for a while, just ask for pics and keep me motivated :lol:

Well unfortunately I have observed heavy flashing among my fish so it appears they have some sort of gill fluke... I am thinking of using Gel Tek PX, which is an anti-parasitic food. I think this would treat it but avoid ruining my bacterial cycle, which is good because I am going on a week-long vacation very soon and can't do the water changes needed for a fish-in cycle.

Thanks for the compliments, and for posting :D

The Barbs are so far, so good :) I am being anal about dosing nutrients, keeping up on water changes, and making the tank as happy and healthy as I can. Hopefully, if I keep doing everything right, my fish will make it!

I am feeding them Jungle Anti-Parasite food, and dosing the tank with pure praziquantel (safe to use whole-tank meds with this medicated food). This means 25% PWC every day before adding meds. So, this is what a day's maintenance in my tank looks like:

Feed medicated food
Feed medicated food again ;)
25% PWC, then
Dose 3/8 tsp pure Praziquantel
Dose 15 ml Melafix and Pimafix (can't hurt)
Dose whatever nutrients for my plants

So glad I got a python... :D

So far, no real signs of improvement... maybe less flashing, but also increased lethargy (not surprising because I am changing tank parameters quickly). My plants seem fine with the meds, and my nerite has actually been more active than ever, but I haven't seen my MTS in a while.

Back
Top Bottom