30g stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm getting a 30g tomorrow and I need stocking ideas for after it is cycles

Smaller rainbowfish, killies, kribs, shellies, nano fish, tetras, barbs, rasboras, danios, rams, keyholes, dwarf puffers, angels, apistos, dwarf gouramis, gouramis, dwarf cichlids, cories, BN plecos, smaller-sized loaches (ie khuli loaches), bettas, hatchetfish, pencilfish, headstanders, mollies, platies, guppies, catfish, swordtails, lima, badis badis, jewels, shrimp, snails...this was all I could think of. Not all of this in the same tank though, remember to do your research (y)

What sort of tap water do you have? It's easiest to keep/maintain fish that are suited to your water. Raising pH and hardness is pretty easy, lowering and then maintaining is more trouble than it's worth IMO.
Some filter media from an establised tank will greatly reduce the time needed to establish a new setup.

toddnbecka said:
What sort of tap water do you have? It's easiest to keep/maintain fish that are suited to your water. Raising pH and hardness is pretty easy, lowering and then maintaining is more trouble than it's worth IMO.
Some filter media from an establised tank will greatly reduce the time needed to establish a new setup.

I use purified water and I have 2 weeks to wait till I get paid so cycling ain't a problem

Also I want active fish. Really active but not too small and I want some that interact with humans like me but no mollies/platies. Something that stands out

In a 30 long you can comfortably house a single or pair of smaller cichlids for "personality" and some tetras for activity/color.

toddnbecka said:
In a 30 long you can comfortably house a single or pair of smaller cichlids for "personality" and some tetras for activity/color.

Like what kind (five bar tangs?)

My gourmis and paradise fish come straight up and eat out of my hand. And they swim all over the place all the time. And everytime someone walks passed the glass they just follow them. so they're pretty cool.

Kribensis are a good bet, keyholes or Bolivian rams would work too. If you order online you have other, less common species available too.
A 30 isn't big enough for Malawi mbuna or peacocks. There are some Tanganykian cichlids that would fit, but those aren't generally as colorful or active.

Is that the only fish your going to have in there? Even if so that still seems a bit much. Mine swim all over the place so they need some room to swim too. And I just have to pairs. You don't need to ratio them

seekinghealth said:
Is that the only fish your going to have in there? Even if so that still seems a bit much. Mine swim all over the place so they need some room to swim too. And I just have to pairs. You don't need to ratio them

No actually I think I'm gonna put
1 male Molly,
4 female Millie's,
1 male dwarf gourami,
4 female dwarf gouramis.

Does that seem like a good stock list

1 male Molly,
4 female Millie's,
1 male dwarf gourami,
4 female dwarf gouramis.

IME I kept two male gold honey DGs with a dalmatian molly, and as far as I could tell the two practically ignored each other. However I think that's quite a lot of mollies for a thirty gallon tank, they're very active fish and have quite the big bioload. Maybe slim it down to 2 or 3. As for the DGs, IME I kept a trio of one males to two females, they were quite the active and happy trio contrary to my rams :)

1 male Molly,
4 female Millie's,
1 male dwarf gourami,
4 female dwarf gouramis.

I think they would get along ok, but maybe only 2 or 3 girls of each species. Remember, you will get baby mollies! Its obviously up to you, but I personally would do like 5 mollies and just 1 DG. Some of them can be moody, so 5 might be a bit much. But, of course the females are better. Still, maybe a trio is better like bruins said. :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
IME I kept two male gold honey DGs with a dalmatian molly, and as far as I could tell the two practically ignored each other. However I think that's quite a lot of mollies for a thirty gallon tank, they're very active fish and have quite the big bioload. Maybe slim it down to 2 or 3. As for the DGs, IME I kept a trio of one males to two females, they were quite the active and happy trio contrary to my rams :)

I actually had 3 Molly's who lived very peacefully in a 10g tank. All were about 2 inches. Oh and by the way I got my tank today and its a 37 gallon tank 36"long x 12"wide x 22"high

Back
Top Bottom