30gal re-do.....before and after

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Close up off the revamped left side. The right side looks like crap...I'm still working on it.

img_654128_0_1eb3c010042d7bb85dbceb6b4a0d8e35.jpg

Your layout makes the tank look larger than 30gals. I like the right side :) Will be neat to see how you change it.

Like newfound77951, the one far right looks like A. reineckii to me too, which also grew slow for me. The Alternanthera reineckii v "copper" pic on Plantgeek is emersed growth and a variant, so doesn't look the same as submerged growth of regular A. reineckii, just fyi.

You must have really good DIY CO2 generation and/or a very good method of diffusing the CO2. Most aren't able to achieve results that good when combining DIY CO2 with BioWheels. You may want to consider removing the BioWheels sometime down the road.

Since you've got a really good balance and are achieving the levels that you want right now, it may be best not to mess with it. If you were to remove the biowheels now you'd probably end up having to find ways to may your DIY less efficent. Less/smaller CO2 generators etc.

Once you make the switch to Pressurized CO2, it would be a really good idea to remove the BioWheels. At that point it will be much easier to control the amount of CO2 being injected into the tank, so that your aren't injecting too much. This will extend the amount of time that a CO2 refill will last saving you money.

That sounds like a good idea. I think I have a couple of things working in my favor. One is the fact that my DIY CO2 is really spitting out some gas (I use a glass diffuser). The other is a faulty biowheel that isn't spinning or spins intermittently. This is probably due to me needing to replace one of the filter cartridges on that side. I'm sure some of the CO2 is being gassed off and the 2-1gal generators are making up for it...

I'm leaning more and more towards making watersprite and/or wisteria a key component of my tank. Have you been happy with them so far? Any real difference between the two?

The Watersprite is brighter in color and has a 'richer' velvety look to it. It also seems to grow more vertically than the Wisteria does. Wisteria does grow vertical, but once it's trimmed it seems to form side shoots. For that reason, it is better at filling space than Watersprite is. At that's how it's been in my tank...

Back
Top Bottom