33g stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gena575 said:
What about a huge school of these guys?? You can find them on www.franksaquarium.com under the nano-fish, but I've heard some say they found them locally too.
tanichthys_micagemmae.jpg

White cloud mountain minnows really need fast flowing cool water conditions, but they are hardy enough to really live out anything you throw at them (near enough). They are fairly peaceful (though the three males I have in a shoal in my river tank are pretty nippy with each other) and are lovely to look at too! :)

and the thing with kuhli loaches, you may never see them, as they hide constantly, the only time they come out during the day is if they stick half their body out, from underneath a rock to grab a flake, and then retreat. although once in awhile, during dusk, they may also be seen chasing each other, swimming erractically, hiting every fish in their way, like idiots

are there any loaches or other Asian bottom swimmers that would be more active??

i think 10 or so ghost shrimp would complement your glass cats as well

would that be too much in this setup though??

4-6 glass cats
8 harlequin rasboras
6-8 smaller, peaceful barbs (gold, checkered, cherry, or black ruby)
4 kuhli loaches
1 gourami (dwarf, blue, gold, honey)

What are the dimensions of your tank? I hope its pretty long...then that stocking would be great. I didn't think about the dimensions earlier though...but that stocking should work, although the middle-top area will be a little crowded. But it should be fine...:)

I don't know of any bottom feeders that are Asian besides loaches. If you don't want kuhlis, you could get dwarf chain, polka dot or yoyo loaches. I'd go with 4.

your stocking is still to much in my opinion

4-6 glass cats
5 harlequin rasboras
4-5 smaller, peaceful barbs (gold, checkered, cherry, or black ruby)
3-4 kuhli loaches
1 gourami (dwarf, blue, gold, honey)

i think this would work though, you could probably drop the barbs, like i said, they have been harassing my nearly blind glass cats

hc8719 said:
thats a white cloud minnow?

Yes. They splay their fins when they have disputes with other males like that.
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_tanictis.php

As for stocking: as someone's said, kuhli loaches are going to disappear on you until it comes time to move things around or catch them! I would also avoid barbs with glass catfish...and with a gourami in there. They may be 'peaceful' but a barb is a barb and they do fin nip on occasion.

I would also avoid yoyo (lochata) botias in that tank: I'd go with the polkadots (kubotai) since they're much more peaceful and way more playful! :)

'Course it's your tank not ours so best of luck with it whatever you decide!

Alright...that gives me more of a picture to imagine the tank...:)

Since no one likes the barb idea...how about a big school of Harlequins? They are really peaceful and would look awesome in a school of 10-12. Then you wouldn't have to worry about your glass cats. And they are small, so they don't add much to the bioload.

So you are looking at:

4-6 glass cats
10 or so Harlies
4-6 Kuhli loaches
1 gourami

IMO that would be a great tank!

nicole, btw, thanks for having an idea on what to put in your tank, ive seen all too often.

"i got a new 20gal tank, what can i put in it?"

you actually had an idea of what you wanted, we appreciate it

JustOneMore20 said:
Alright...that gives me more of a picture to imagine the tank...:)

Since no one likes the barb idea...how about a big school of Harlequins? They are really peaceful and would look awesome in a school of 10-12. Then you wouldn't have to worry about your glass cats. And they are small, so they don't add much to the bioload.

So you are looking at:

4-6 glass cats
10 or so Harlies
4-6 Kuhli loaches
1 gourami

IMO that would be a great tank!

well would this work then

4-6 Glass cats
6 Harlies
6 Red tailed rasboras
4 Kuhli loaches
1 Gourami

im sure it would, however personally i'd be concerned about how much fish i'd put in, only because of my experience with my 55 gal i have to change often, otherwise i think the tank would work fine.

if anything i'd cut back on the kuhlis and just get some ghost shrimp. people like kuhlis because they are a cheap eel looking fish, but they tend to be boring

Nicole, I think that stocking would work. I would not cut back on the loaches because they like the company of their own and the more you have the better. I always suggest atleast 4 loaches. If anything, you could increase the number because your bottom level is understocked.

The middle area may be a bit overstocked, but personally I think it can work. I would make sure you stock the tank slowly (I'm sure you will though) and be diligent with water changes.

I would choose a small gourami, just because there will already be 3 schools of fish in the tank. A honey or dwarf gourami would work.

If you can get ahold of some Dwarf chain loaches, they would be a good loach to get instead of the Kuhlis. I have nothing against Kuhlis, but have heard that they tend to hide most of the time. I think they like to bury in the substrate too, so I'd make sure you have sand or a fine gravel, if you decide to get them.

Either way, I'm anxious to see pictures of your tank. An Asian community is something I have wanted to do. It will be nice!

thanks for all the stocking and plant suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I have a question about filters though, I've heard that glass cats like strong filtration so I have a couple of options, these are the filters I have (it's fine if I don't use all of them)

-Aqua clear 500
-two Aqua clear 200
-Aqua clear 300
-Aqua clear mini (will be for my quarantine tank--might keep it running though, haven't decided yet)

Now I also have an Amazon community tank (33g as well), my question is which filter(s) would be best on which tank?

im not familiar with aquaclear, i do notice my glass cats almost always stay on the side of the filter is on, but i thought that was just a coincidence. but then again BGKs love strong currents, and she is never near the filter

get one recommended for your 33 gallon tank

If by AC500 you mean the AC 110 (what its called now), then I think that will be a little much for your tank. I'd personally use the AC300. I think that would be enough current, as it puts out a pretty strong current in my 55g. It should be enough for the glass cats to be happy and still overfilter...which is good.

Or if you want, you could use the two AC200. It just depends on if you want to use 2 filters or 1. And whichever you don't use could be for your other tank. Having 2 filter would make a current on both ends of the tank so that you wouldn't have any dead spots, but having one would give a place for any fish that don't like the current. Gouramis are sometimes slow, so it may appreciate having a place in the tank where there isn't alot of current.

Ultimately its your decision, but I would probably use the AC300 alone.

Save the AC500 for when you get a bigger tank! ;)

ok thanks

I'll definitely post some pics when I get my tank up and running

Nicole, I also like the Aquaclear filters as far as HOBs go. The AC 70 (300 gph) would be fine for your tank. If you try it and you don't think it provides enough current, you could always add the Aquaclear mini (100 gph), and then you would have it cycled and available for your QT. Another good choice would be the Emperor 280, but since it filters 280 gph the Aquaclear is probably a better deal. Plus, I like the way that you can customize the Aquaclears, as opposed to the Emperors, which rely on proprietary cartridges. In my ACs, I always skip the carbon insert and just use 2 foam block inserts stacked on top of one another, with the ceramic media bag on top. It's worked well for me in the past. Your stocking plan sounds really interesting and I would also love to see pics when you get it set up!

Back
Top Bottom