Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

35 Gallon Stocking

Iím helping a friend set up an aquarium. It is a 35 gallon tall. Theyíve communicated their wants to me, which are as follows:
1) A pair of Gourami, preferably blue or yellow
2) Brightly colored schooling fish which are easy to see
3) An algae eating fish

For the Gouramis, said they like honey gourami, which fit the ďyellowĒ criteria and are very peaceful, but I wondered what other gouramis might work? They said they liked the Three Spot gourami, but I know they tend to get larger and be more aggressive, so I wasnít so sure.

For the schooling fish, they said they like Glofish tetras, specifically the green and pink ones. I think the pink are white skirts and the green and black skirts, but Iím not entirely certain. I am a little concerned about them being nippy with the gouramis, so I wondered if anyone has kept Glofish with gouramis before? What other species of schooling fish might do well?

As for the algae eater, I steered them away from common plecos in favor of a bristlenose. I think that a bristlenose will do well, but if anyone has other suggestions, Iíd love to hear them too.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

All fish are nippy, just depends on the particular fish really. I have 4 honey gourami with danios and Glowlights and they're never nipped at. You could do neons as the schooling fish, or any brightly colored tetra, really just personal preference I havent found any to be more aggressive/nippy then others. As for algae eaters, id say BN would be a good choice, or any smaller pleco variety. Bumblebee catfish also look really pretty and only get 3~ inches so you could have more

Tags
5 gallon, gallon, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com