35 Hex stocking plan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imahawki

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, I'm thinking of the following for my 35 hex.

3-4 Hatchets for top dwellers
4-6 of one species of tetra (parhaps lemon or something)
4-6 another species of tetras (possibly neons?)
4-6 Guppies
3-5 Corys
1-2 other bottom feeders or algea eaters

I'm thinking of either very dark blue or black gravel and moderately planted (fake plants) with some of the fake driftwood with fake plants on them, etc.

Is that over stocked, I know those fish are small. Does that make sense?

I think if you picked 8 of *one* kind of tetra you would be better of.
If your 35gal hex has a low sitting hood- you might not even be able to see your hatchets (i have that problem with mine).

And I wouldn't worry about any other bottom feeders
So to avoid overstocking:
3 hatchets
8 tetras
5/6 guppies
4 cories

I'll keep that in mind for the hatchets. If that is the case, what mid-dweller might you replace them with?

Are the compatable with the Tetras? I've heard livebearers are more prone to disease which they can then give to your other fish of course? Yes/No?

They are more prone to disease when not kept in hard water. Most tetras do best with a slightly acidic pH and soft water, while livebearers do best in hard, alkaline water. HTH

I've had livebears for a long time without much disease problems. As for compatability, I'd imagine most tetras would do ok with them, as long as it wasn't one of the more nippy varieties.

That is true about the water hardness...but most of these fish have gotten so used to the basic city water that it really shouldn't matter much.

Well, I've even noticed it in local pet stores. We have soft water here and I always see the livebearers not doing so well (dead fish, breathing at the surface, etc.). I'm pretty sure it's not just a couple "bad batches". I see it very often, as I usually go to pet stores just to look at the fish. The tetras, sharks, catfish, loaches, rasboras and other soft water fish always look the healthiest.
I have 2 mollies only because I got them awhile ago (I've actually only been keeping fish for about a year so I guess it's not really that long ago) and I didn't know much about fish yet. Awhile ago I had platies that only lasted a few days at most. :( I've also heard people in the stores talking about how platies, mollies and swords never seem to do well in their tanks. Now I stay away from buying them, probably until I can get them there own tank with CC, rocks that slowly raise hardness, marine salt, etc.
Although, one of the mollies does seem to be doing exceptionally well (could be because I have some CC in the filter) but I have not noticed any growth at all since I got him. The other is ok but doesn't seem to be doing as good. Therefore, my opinion after research and experience is that it does matter.

Mid-dwellers: I have brilliant rasboras and rummy nose tetras. They're great! They feed in mid water but swim all over the tank.

Serpae tetras are also mid water feeders. I have never seen mine niping other fish but it may be just because of the kind of fish I have.

Back
Top Bottom