35g; A few questions then I'm set to go!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Here's my planned setup:
-----
35g community FW tank

1 x Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
1 x Gold Ram
6 x Lemon Tetras
9 x Rummynose Tetras
4 x Cories
3 x Otos
1 x Clown Pleco
Amano and Red Cherry Shrimp

Temp- 79°F
pH neutral-ish
kH 4-8
Hardness 80-120 ppm

Lighting... ~80-90w Fluorescent (6700K White Light)
-on Timer

Plants...
Java Fern (mid)
Java Moss (fore)
Dwarf Saggitaria (Saggitaria subulata) (fore)
Amazon Sword (back)
Anubias (fore)
Hygrophila polysperma (mid-back)
Wendtii Crypt (Cryptocoryne wendtii) (mid)
Rotala indica (mid-back)
Hornwort (mid-back)
Moneywort (mid-back)
Riccia fluitans (floating)

Substrate..
Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil

CO2..
DIY two litre bottle diffused into Airstone
-----
-In which order should I add my intended fish/shrimp?

-How do I plant each of those plants? Just take the roots and tuck them in the substrate? (Can someone please tell me how to plant each one of my plants in the plant list? : :lol: )

-And should I add the plants, then fishless cycle, or fishless cycle (with just substrate, driftwood, rocks & equip) then add the plants?

Ok, with the plants you have, you will not need to cycle your tank. The plants will eat up all the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates before you can detect them. You may even have to does nitrates in the form of seachem nitrogen or KNO3. I followed Rex's instructions on how to add plants and stuff - http://rexgrigg.com/aa.htm

Have you planned what fertilizers you're using? I reccomend PMDD, theres a website that delivers it if someone could post the address.

And diffusing the co2 into an airstone is a bad idea, most if not all the co2 is lost. Here's what I did - I cut the top of a gatorade bottle, and rinsed it well. Then I poked a hole in the side for the airline tubing to go in. Then I just stuck it in my tank. Once it had enough co2 in it, it was stable against the glass lid of my tank. If you dont have a glass lid, you might need to get some aquaium sealent to attach it to the side of the tank.

As for the order your adding your fish, You should add the tetras first, the otos, pleco, and ram last. And everything else in between. Remember to wait a few weeks after adding fish before you add more.

*EDIT*
Also, what kind of filtering do you have? You have quite the bio-load and you'll need lots of filtration.

For CO2, I intend then to put the airline tubing into the (HOB filter) intake tube [inside the tank]

Could I stock (6) Emperor Tets instead of the Lemons? Would that work?

They are both described as being ~ 2 inches (the Lemons maybe a teeny bit smaller) and Peaceful...like to school

Was just wondering if anyone had experiences with Emporers
IMO, they seem they would be fine, but just wanted some reassuring feedback :)

I don't have any experience with either of them, but judging on size and temperament, it sounds good!

Heh! Adult size doesn't make a difference at this point.

Though a very compatible list; it has him stuffed past stocked already anyway. Rummys are good sized tetras
He has 18 inches in those alone... that's half the tank
And I have one of those silly things that is 3 whole inches! They are only supposed to get 2!! :evil:
And smaller corys grow to a minimum 3-4 inches. Bronzes like I have get 5 inches. The true dwarf cory is not commonly available yet. They barely found em to classify like what? last year?
My 2 neon blue females are 3 & 4 inches. My dwarf wild colisa is 5 excluding his tail.
So there is a minimum 12 inches of cory if they are all runts.. and 4 inches of gourami (I doubt he planned a female)

So there is 34 inches of fish right there with the species I do keep and therefore can see the size off hand as well as my research. :wink:
BTW: my lfs said that emperoers get pretty big and are awful at fin nipping like the skirts are. He wouldn't sell them to keep company in my 40 community. Unless I like begged and signed a waiver..heh!

Just googled the emperors and on "paper" they sound great (and look great--I had never seen them before). I am not one who follows the inch per gallon rule and have seen no ill effects. I also do not keep the "harder" to keep fish. IMHO, with all those plants, regular water changes, and good filtration I think you will do just fine.

BTW—what type of filter are you planning on?

I'm thinking I may invest in a Canister filter...the Rena XP filstar?
I have never used a canister before though, only HOB's :p....how does that canister filter work ??

I have canisters on the 29, 50 and 80. They work great and you can have the tank closer to the wall because you are only leaving room for two hoses. I use Fluvals and they have baskets for media. My fiancé does most of the maintenance, but I know ceramic rings are in the baskets, and there’s a sponge insert. We don't keep carbon in there, unless we're trying to pull out meds. I know others do it differently.

Final revision before I get started:
~
35g community FW tank

3 x Otos
8 x Emperor Tetras
4 x Cories
1 x Clown Pleco
1 x Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
1 x Gold Ram
Amano and Red Cherry Shrimp

Temp- 79°F
pH neutral-ish
kH 4-8
Hardness 80-120 ppm

Lighting... ~90w + Fluorescent (6700K White Light)
-on Timer

Plants...
Java Fern (mid)
Java Moss (fore)
Dwarf Saggitaria (Saggitaria subulata) (fore)
Amazon Sword (back)
Anubias (fore)
Hygrophila polysperma (mid-back)
Wendtii Crypt (Cryptocoryne wendtii) (mid)
Rotala indica (mid-back)
Hornwort (mid-back)
Moneywort (mid-back)
Riccia fluitans (floating)

Substrate..
Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil mixed with Seachem Flourite / Thin Underlayer of Garden Peat

CO2..
DIY two litre bottle diffused into Filter intake

Flourish Tabs - into substrate
Seachem Flourish - with each water change

Rena XP1 Canister Filter
200w Heater
Driftwood, rocks
~

Back
Top Bottom