36 gallon freshwater stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gourmies are very hardy fish i have 2x dwarfs in my 10 gallon that is currently on its 3rd week of cycling.

ok hello, well today i just put in 5 cherry barbs and they are so far doing great. They found a log I put in and are swimming through it and it is fun to watch becuase they all follow eachother. My next fish are either going to be neon tetras or some loaches, but im going to wait a couple weeks

How yare you testing the water? Are you using a liquid test kit? You should see a rise in Ammonia, then a rise in Nitrites with a drop in ammonia, then a drop in nitrites and a slight raise in Nitrates. Then when both ammonia and nitrites are on '0' for a few days you could safely add the fish.

Dont get me wrong you could add the fish after a week but most people see this is stress to the fish as your putting them in uncycled water. If this is the case your fish will have a high chance of dieing unless you do daily 25% water changes at least to keep the toxic levels down.

I added my fish after 3 days and the fish became somewhat used to the high levels of Ammonia, but rather than let them suffer I did 50% water changes daily to bring the levels down.

Unless you have a friend who has a cycled tank then the best thing you could do is add pure ammonia to your tank and test it daily to watch for the change from high ammonia, to high nitrite and then higher levels of nitrate. I have seen people add fish food to the tank to help it cycle, im not familiar to this method but plenty of people do it so it must work :)... On the other hand if you do have a friend with a cycled tank then pinching a bit of their filter media and putting it in your filter would cycle the tank in a day or 2 :)...

Also if you add your fish soon you should get something called Seachems Prime. This product locks the levels of ammonia and nitrite for 48 hours so the beneficial bacteria can consume the toxic stuff.

I just think if you cycled the tank properly you could avoid the potential algae bloom and stress to your fish, worst case scenario death!!!. Lol it also saves you doing water changes every day :) which cant be a bad thing.

Hope all goes well though.

Im glad to see your waiting a few weeks to add the more fish.

Maintaining 5 is easier then stocking your tank and trying to manage it then.
Lol my reply is a little late in regards to cycling your tank. I honestly dont believe your tank is cycled in a week off fish food so prepare to shell out more money on Seachems Prime or regular water changes. Thats if you dont want to risk losing your new barbs.

PS... Featherfins are cool when you actually see them. I have a pipe in my tank and it spends 90% of its day in there and I rarely see him.

ok hello, well today i just put in 5 cherry barbs and they are so far doing great. They found a log I put in and are swimming through it and it is fun to watch becuase they all follow eachother. My next fish are either going to be neon tetras or some loaches, but im going to wait a couple weeks
Its good to wait. Kuhlis need a very well established tank. Once they get in and acclimate well, they are quite hardy, but I have heard that they need excellent water conditions to get established. :) Personally, I bought 5 and they all are still alive 8 months later. But, they were the second to last fish I added (last thing was angels).

Back
Top Bottom