36 gallon stock! Input NEEDED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthewscott

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so right now I have a ten gallon tank with 4 badis ( under and inch) and 4 Pygmy gourami ( about an inch) and 3 shrimp, but I am upgrading to my 36 gallon bow front.
Once they get in there I will have all sorts of room and I want to add 2 or 3 slightly bigger fish to the mix.
I was thinking about 2 dwarf gourami, not two males clearly, and maybe a bottom feeder of sorts.
I am fairly new to this hobby, but I know not to overstock, and irony think that this would be an issue, but I'm just wondering how all the fish would get along?
Would the dwarf gourami quarrel with say the Pygmy gourami? Or is there a loach or something that won't eat all my badis?

All of your input is extremely appreciated!

My gourami and badis are here.

Attachments

• image-2443334742.jpg
    image-2443334742.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3056244673.jpg
    image-3056244673.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 97
Try a rainbow shark. Only one though because they can get very aggressive towards their own kind. Rainbow shark will leave most fish alone and with 36 gallons it will have more than enough room to choose a territory to call its own. Just a suggestion.

That's a good idea, how about a rainbow shark and one dwarf gourami? I'd rather stay away from attempting more than one gourami.

Yeah I think that would be okay. They are going to really like expansion, just try not to get too excited with stocking fish haha I made that mistake before! But yeah, 36 gallon is plenty of room for these I would think.

I wouldn't add the rainbow shark or dwarf gourami... I think the stock you have now is going to be too shy and easily outcompeted for food. I'd stick with smaller schooling species like ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, etc.

severum mama said:
I wouldn't add the rainbow shark or dwarf gourami... I think the stock you have now is going to be too shy and easily outcompeted for food. I'd stick with smaller schooling species like ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, etc.

They Are pretty shy, but with food i have never seen quicker! Haha but you don't think it would be a good match?

I really don't, but I haven't tried it. I have kept all those species, just not together.

severum mama said:
I really don't, but I haven't tried it. I have kept all those species, just not together.

I agree completley, I dont think it would be a good idea at all

I think they would pick on your badis. Adult rams are MUCH larger than badis, and based on my experience with both species the rams have a lot more attitude.

Well the rainbow shark would just scavange the uneaten food at the bottom and skim the algae from the glass and decorations.

same concept with apistos as with rams.

You are already stocked with nano fish so your best bet is to stick with other nano fish. Like S_M suggested, a school of CPDs or small rasboras would work great.

Okay crazy new update, I'm leaving my nano fish in the ten gallon and have a fresh start in this 36 gallon. Now what!?!? Loaches?!? Rams?!? Manatees!?!? ;)

Matthewscott said:
Okay crazy new update, I'm leaving my nano fish in the ten gallon and have a fresh start in this 36 gallon. Now what!?!? Loaches?!? Rams?!? Manatees!?!? ;)

Manatees!!! Lol jk, I personally love Rams and Apistos, what kinds of fish do you want? Schoolers, Bottom feeders, Centerpiece fish?!?

GuppyLover said:
Manatees!!! Lol jk, I personally love Rams and Apistos, what kinds of fish do you want? Schoolers, Bottom feeders, Centerpiece fish?!?

Haha I love how excited your getting too. Um I think I have decided on some apistos with a rainbow sharky shark. I think they will get on alright, and look great. And have a lot of room. thoughts?!?!?!?!?

Matthewscott said:
Haha I love how excited your getting too. Um I think I have decided on some apistos with a rainbow sharky shark. I think they will get on alright, and look great. And have a lot of room. thoughts?!?!?!?!?

I like Harlequin Rasboras and black neon tetras, long finned serpaes are cool too. I have some but they are fin nippers so they probably wont do well with you Apistos.

Hey, my tank is full so I am living vicariously through you ;]

Back
Top Bottom