37 gallon - ok for Angels ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I STILL have those two 20G longs sitting there waiting to be filled ! (since September !!). Then I realized that the 29G and 37G have the same footprint - and I'll be honest with you - I've been absolutely dreading removing the silicone and resealing the 2 20s (they housed hamsters and waxworms in the past). SO --------- I got the two larger tanks, knowing that my hood and lights would fit :)

I'm thinking about housing 2 (possible 3 ?) fancy goldfish in the 29G and doing the 37G a heavily planted Angelfish tank since its nice and high (22").

Questions:
1. Is 3 fancy goldfish overstocking the 29G ? I have a filter rated for up to 55G and can add a spare Tetra filter (the one that comes with the 10G kit from Petsmart).
2. Would the angels do well in the 37G ? It would be a species only tank. How many angels would be appropriate ?

Now if I could just get my husband the electrician to add the outlets I need I might actually get this project done !

joannde said:
I STILL have those two 20G longs sitting there waiting to be filled ! (since September !!). Then I realized that the 29G and 37G have the same footprint - and I'll be honest with you - I've been absolutely dreading removing the silicone and resealing the 2 20s (they housed hamsters and waxworms in the past). SO --------- I got the two larger tanks, knowing that my hood and lights would fit :)

I'm thinking about housing 2 (possible 3 ?) fancy goldfish in the 29G and doing the 37G a heavily planted Angelfish tank since its nice and high (22").

Questions:
1. Is 3 fancy goldfish overstocking the 29G ? I have a filter rated for up to 55G and can add a spare Tetra filter (the one that comes with the 10G kit from Petsmart).
as long as you keep up with the pwc i think you can do 3 fancys
2. Would the angels do well in the 37G ? It would be a species only tank. How many angels would be appropriate ?
if it was me i would get 4-5 young ones (~quarter size) and see if i could get a pair, once they are full grown that that is only big enough for a pair (2) IMO, so have another home for the odd men/women out :D
Now if I could just get my husband the electrician to add the outlets I need I might actually get this project done !

I take exception to this!

Your poor husband slaves all day long at work and just because he does not come home and jump right into doing more electrical work, does not make him a bad person!

Oh.... Oh, you are not my wife... So sorry for the rant.

I hear similar things at home all the time. "Honey do you think you could bring one of the guys home to put an outlet over here for this lamp..."

Very funny. :wink:

I think you could house 3 fancy's in a 29 gal. Pwc's will be a part of life with goldies. :)

I also am wondering why you would do a species only tank. There are many fish that would go great in that tank along with angels.

Don't blame you on dreading redoing the 2 20's.

Why species only - LOL, I don't know - just thought I'd rather have more angels of different colors and that it would look nice. And of course SNAILS ! Gotta have my brigs LOL
I have no intention of breeding. BUT if I could only house 2 long term in the tank then I would probably add a small school of tetras to the 37G.

Sparky - now I understand where your name comes from ! LOL. I never asked him to jump - obviously I've not jumped in getting the tanks set up either. I"m sure if I put the substrate in the tanks he'd know I was "really ready" and would get right to it.

So - could I seriously only do two long term ?

3 fancies would be ok when they are young, but I've seen 12" orandas and they certainly wouldn't fit in a 29. Even the more typical 8" adults would be squished. Keep in mind that the tank realistically only holds 26 gallons of water.

BillD - the 20G will certainly leak. One had a sucession of hamsters who loved to chew off the silicone. The other was used to raise mealworms and waxworms for my lizards - the silicone in that one is in pretty bad shape also.

Back
Top Bottom