37g tearing down. Want to try something a little different.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Over the years I have had numerous peaceful community tanks. My 37 gallon tank just had a tragedy so I'm doing a tear down and will need to figure out a new stocking plan. I was wanting to try something a little more interesting this time and was hoping for some suggestions.

I would be fine trying a species tank of a little bit more challenging of a fish although I do think having a little bit of variety is more interesting to watch. I also would prefer if there was some breeding potential.

For more challenging I'm not meaning extreme challenging or anything. I won't be able to feed these guys live food for instance. Also, I believe in trying to work with what you have so preferable these fish should suit water that is slightly hard.

Thanks in advance for what I anticipate will be some very creative ideas.

I have had livebearers, cory cats, tetras, dwarf gourami, plecos, white clouds, danios, rasboras, barbs , algae eater, and bettas (I think that covers it).

Of the above my favorites have been the cory cats, tetras and dwarf gourami. The gourami pair was my latest addition to my tank before it tanked and that was my last branching out effort. I went that route though since they fit in the community I had going. The tetras appeal just because esthetically it looks pretty having dashes of stunning color darting around. Cory's have so much personality.

I don't think I'm quite ready for salt water although that is a dream of mine. I'd want a larger tank for that when I do go there.

I was thinking that angels might be good seeing as this is a tall tank. I know so little about the cichlids - there are so many - although I am finding myself more and more interested with them. My biggest concerns with those is the hit and miss with the pairing off. I live rurally so purchasing fish is a 2 hour drive for me. If I do the method of "purchase 5 and see who pairs off" leaves me with 3 that I would have little chance of being able to find homes for.

I'll do some investigating calfishguy on your suggestions.

I'm not able to get a straight answer on that one. Went on vacation for a week and came home to an empty tank. The teenager isn't admitting anything. She's buying the new fish though :).

calfishguy, I've been doing some reading on rams and angelfish and I think my water may be on the hard side for them but I'll need to check that out some more. I know my PH is 7.4 is but no idea about the GH or KH - will order in a test kit.

I did some searching on some harder water cichlids and the rainbow cichlid sounds interesting.

I have a ph of eight and have 2 thriving angels and will soon purchase some rams stability is more important than anything else when it comes to ph.

Just a suggestion, but you could go for a biotope aquarium. I've become extremely interested in them recently. You could go for a central america blackwater biotope or a southeast asian biotope or whatever you want really.

Back
Top Bottom