38 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisross

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys my 38 gallon tank is finally cycled and that means it's time to add fish. After thinking I've decided on a stocking plan like this

1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
6 Albino Cory Cats
8 Black Neon Tetras
8 Red Serpae Tetra

I have two filters running. One is an Aqueon QuietFlow 30 and the other is a QuietFlow 10. Basically what I'm wondering is this plan okay? Am I overstocked or can I add more to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys my 38 gallon tank is finally cycled and that means it's time to add fish. After thinking I've decided on a stocking plan like this

1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
6 Albino Cory Cats
8 Black Neon Tetras
8 Red Serpae Tetra

I have two filters running. One is an Aqueon QuietFlow 30 and the other is a QuietFlow 10. Basically what I'm wondering is this plan okay? Am I overstocked or can I add more to it?

That stocking level is okay, but the Serpae Tetras and Gourami are not a good mix. Those tetras will nip the gourami's fins. Substitute the Serpae Tetras for another schoaling fish, such as Red Phantom Tetras, Bentos Tetras, Cheery Barbs, etc.

I agree that the serpae tetras should be removed from your proposed stock list. There are so many other great tetras out there. I would go with either rummy noses, neons or glowlite tetras.

Thanks for all the input! I'll replace the Serpaes with neons instead ?

Neons are a good choice, though the can be so delicate, they die if you look at them funny. :facepalm:

Still, my latest school has done well, since I found a reputable LFS.

Red phantoms would be a good choice, too, if you want a red tetra.

I find that neons are very hardy since most of them are farmed. Cardinals are still mostly wild caught and need more exacting conditions.

Neons are notorious across the hobby for being pretty frail. I have had worse luck with neons than cardinals, black neons or glowlights. I just wait and purchase any schooling fish when they go on sale in case I have losses so it doesn't hit the pocket book too hard. If neons don't work for you, just try something else. :)
I really like the asthetic of black neons and cherry barbs. The barbs do not school like the neons do and they have more of a gender based pecking order. The cherry barbs also swim around the various levels of the tank more than most tetras do, so the tank will look more balanced. If you want to stick with neons and black neons though, by all means do it. You could likely do more like 10 of each schooler since your other stocking is light. Just stock slowly and watch the parameters.

Neons are notorious across the hobby for being pretty frail.

I think it really depends on the original source (wild or farm) and then the LFS one buys them at. Of the seven I bought at Petco, six died within the first week. :banghead: I then bought ten at a reputable LFS, and I still have all of them (including the one Petco survivor) four months later.

Back
Top Bottom