4 Days Till my GBRs Come in!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im So Excited! Sadly I had to order em from Petco, That my LFS which is still 50 miles away.

Ive just got a few Questions, I know you need to keep the water Top Grade, so I was wondering would 10-15% PWC Daily, be bad? Should I keep it with my 40% Weekly.

Another Thing is Petco guy said they dont hold em, he'll call me when they come in... Is it gonna Stress them alot if they Get alcamated to their tank then to mine within the same day?

Lastly, Im going to Drip alcamate them, How long should I let it Drip in before adding them to the tank.

Thanks a Ton!

Congratulations on your future GBR, I had some bad experiences with Petco in the past, but I hope that will not be your case.

Normally people recommend 25%-50% pwc a week, 10-15% is not bad, but if you have the time, you should.

I normally leave the bag on top of the water for at least an hour or so to be safe.

Depending on how big your tank is, I would do 30-60% water changes a week. You should drip acclimate them for an hour or so.

It may stress them out, so be careful with them.

I just got some gbr's about 3 weeks ago and I love them! I do about a 50% pwc a week and they're fine with it. I was lucky to have a very good lfs near me that has a very healthy stock of gbr's. If you have any trouble with petco stock then try ordering from a reliable mail order website. There are lots of people on here who have had luck with some sites although I've never personally used them. Good luck on your gbr's and post pics when they're settled!

I Def will Take pics, I cant wait. Ordering via web would cost me alot most sites are $30 Shipping cost unless you order $150 and up...

I think the less you mess with them the better. Daily water changes will unnecessarily stress them. If a once a week PWC keeps the water In top condition, why do it everyday. More frequent changes should only be necessary if you are having water problems.

I'm so excited about this post as after research and loving their look decided to eventually convert one of my tanks to a GBR tank and work everything around their needs and happiness.. Sooo excited .. Although it may not happen for months, I'm grateful for doing it the right way...

Congrats & Good luck with your Rams! :)

One More Day! Should be in Tomarrow... Yeah I think im gonna keep it to my 40% Weekly PWC... Ive been wanting Blue Rams Since I saw them, and Im in the Middle of overhauling my tank stock, and it just worked out right to focus it around them by dropping a full school of fish out.

Final Stock will be...
2 German Blue Rams.
8 Neon Tetras.
6-8 Glowfish (Danios)
5 Kuhui Loaches.
Assorted Shrimp and Snails.
Mid-Heavy Planted.(Looking Into pressurized Co2)

After about a Hour I had it on for a Second, and my Kulhis Swam all over the place(They Dont like the Light haha), and Started to spook my poor rams so i turned it back off. Im gonna leave it out for another 4-5 hours, if not the night.

Hope all is well with your rams! I know when I decided to get some, it was a lengthy process that was well worth the effort. Had mine for about 5 months now and I LOVE them. Good luck!

We are at day 6, I ended up on getting 3 since they shipped in 3 to petco... I lucked out to manage to get them still in the shipping bag. So Far they are doing wonderful! As I can tell its atleast 1 Male 1 Female and 1 Maybe male but not sure.. theyre colors are coming in wonderfully. As far as I can tell one has to be few weeks older then the other two so. If it turns out to be 2 males, one will be rehomed. All and all they seem happy swimming around everywhere. No Odd behavor yet.

Sadly I cant get pictures clear enough with my camra, so Ill Try to take a Video of them. The male(oldest) is Very Photogenic, when im there hes always Swimming at the front. Wonder if he has fun watching me as much as I do him.

My petco had some GBRs a while ago. Mine is a pretty nice place, no dead fish. They looked very happy.

Back
Top Bottom