4 gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mole

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 4 gallon tank that I am doing a fishless cycle in. I had ADFs in it by unfortunately they died because I did not know about cycling before I put them in (I am obviously new at this).
Once the tank is cycled what can I put in it? I was thinking of either trying ADFs again or possibly a beta.
I have been told that I will always have a problem with ammonia because the tank is too small, is this true?

Thank you.

once your cycled you wont have problems with ammonia unless you overstock. i suggest getting some plants too. also you could keep a betta and 2-3 ADF's in that tank.

i think that's too much for that tank. Even ADFs want space to move around. I'd do a betta and 2 ADFs max, but it's better if you chose one.

There's no such thing as a technical gallon-per-fish rule. And the more space the better. ADFs are active and 1 gallon is not enough.

you can put some nano fish in there for example chili rasboras. You can put more than 5 because of how small they are...:)

Are you doing a fishless cycle in that tank? Do you have a filter in it? I"m not sure, but I can't remember seeing filters for that small of a tank. I don't think you can cycle a tank without a filter. Also, what about a heater? Both ADF's and bettas need to have a temp around 78-82. I keep my bettas and ADF's (in a 23 gal tank) at 80 degrees.

i suggest nano fish or a shrimp tank,instead of ADFs,that tank seems a little on the small side.

Thanks jeta for the correction. Never had a little tank, so I don't really know. But I thought that the bacteria colonized the filter? So where do they "live" if there isn't a filter? And since a small tank needs almost daily pwc's, I thought that was because it can't/doesn't cycle without a filter? As I said, I don't know, I'm not challenging you. Educate me please!

As jeta said, a sponge filter should work well. There's a website that sells "active" sponge filters that are seeded with beneficial bacteria to help cycle your tank and I've heard some good reviews of them. It'd definitely be worth checking out.

Thanks jeta for the correction. Never had a little tank, so I don't really know. But I thought that the bacteria colonized the filter? So where do they "live" if there isn't a filter? And since a small tank needs almost daily pwc's, I thought that was because it can't/doesn't cycle without a filter? As I said, I don't know, I'm not challenging you. Educate me please!

The bacteria congregate wherever they can feed and multiply the easiest. Filter media is obviously the best place, but they are also found in the biofilm on the tank glass and substrate.

Back
Top Bottom