4 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohsnapitscharity

Aquarium Advice Activist
So on the 1st of the month I will be investing in a 4 gallon tank. Now I'm currently thinking a planted shrimp tank but what would you do with it? Starting with the substrate what would you use, what type of plants, and of course the stock of the tank. I'm asking what you would ideally do with a 4 gallon. P.S. I know all about cycling and that will be done before adding any livestock.

You can go three routes.
1) inexpensive
You can make it look good if your creative
2) willing to spend
This is how most shrimp tanks are and look great.
3) What's a bugdet?
It would be hard to make it not look good.

I would do cherry shrimp. A small piece if Malaysian driftwood, and a nice Anubis plant. You can grow Anubis in a toilet bowl. Lol

Either rock shrimp or cherry shrimp, dark dirt substrate, some anubias and java fern with a small piece of drift wood

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm going to go with a RCS tank. Now onto what seems like the challenging part to me, I'm assuming the light that comes with the aqueon evolve 4 (tank I'm getting) is going to only be suitable for low light plants. So what plants should I get? Will I need to add frets? And what is overall the best substrate to use in this tank?

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm going to go with a RCS tank. Now onto what seems like the challenging part to me, I'm assuming the light that comes with the aqueon evolve 4 (tank I'm getting) is going to only be suitable for low light plants. So what plants should I get? Will I need to add frets? And what is overall the best substrate to use in this tank?

I use Fluval Shrimp Substrate. It will make your water slightly more acidic for your shrimp. It is also black so it makes your shrimp really stand out. Don't feel limited by what light comes with your tank. I have a couple small 5 gallon tanks. I went to Walmart and bought 2 indoor floodlights + 2 clamp lamps to put the FLs in for around $40 total.... Aka $20 for one tank. I can pretty much grow anything in them. Don't just consider what low light plants would be good... Consider what plants will be best for shrimp. =) Hornwort, Java Moss, Anacharis, and Guppy Grass are all great beginner plants that shrimp love!

Also, Mexican Dwarf Crayfish are a great addition to shrimp tanks. They are the most peaceful of the crayfish species and do not destroy or move your live plants. They are so entertaining because of their bubbly little personalities, but they completely ignore my shrimp. In fact, my Crystal Red Shrimp like to jump on their backs and the crayfish run around snapping their little claws. It's too funny! Almost as though my CRS taunt them a little... And my Blue Pearls completely ignore them.

Also, Mexican Dwarf Crayfish are a great addition to shrimp tanks. They are the most peaceful of the crayfish species and do not destroy or move your live plants. They are so entertaining because of their bubbly little personalities, but they completely ignore my shrimp. In fact, my Crystal Red Shrimp like to jump on their backs and the crayfish run around snapping their little claws. It's too funny! Almost as though my CRS taunt them a little... And my Blue Pearls completely ignore them.

I'm so glad you mentioned Mexican dwarf crayfish! I had completely forgotten they existed! I also appreciate you roughly pricing better lights for me. I'm truly excited because now I can carpet the tank with dwarf hair grass!!! Now that I have decided the shrimp and crayfish will be in the tank, what about ferts for the plants?

I'm so glad you mentioned Mexican dwarf crayfish! I had completely forgotten they existed! I also appreciate you roughly pricing better lights for me. I'm truly excited because now I can carpet the tank with dwarf hair grass!!! Now that I have decided the shrimp and crayfish will be in the tank, what about ferts for the plants?

Yes, I am actually growing dwarf hair grass with said lights and its doing fantastic - all my plants are. There are definitely more affordable ways around certain things.

I use Flourish Seachem in my 20L tank. I would do some research on smaller tank ferts and just make sure it is Invertebrate Safe.

Back
Top Bottom