40 breeder stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyFreak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Helloooooooooooooooooooo Fish tank Gods and goddesses!
I am getting a 40 breeder in a week or so and wanted some stocking suggestions. here is what I have so far:
x5 cherry barbs
x3 guppies
x1 pearl gourami
x20 cardinal tetras
x2 GBRs
x3 kribs
Those are my must haves (stocked by aqadvisor). Any small fish I could squeeze in? according to aqadvisor, I am at a 85% stocking level. i was thinking a bristlenose pleco? i would prefer schooling fish, but I would like it to be at least three.
( was not quite sure to put this so i stuck it here.)

Helloooooooooooooooooooo Fish tank Gods and goddesses!
I am getting a 40 breeder in a week or so and wanted some stocking suggestions. here is what I have so far:
x5 cherry barbs
x3 guppies
x1 pearl gourami
x20 cardinal tetras
x2 GBRs
x3 kribs
Those are my must haves (stocked by aqadvisor). Any small fish I could squeeze in? according to aqadvisor, I am at a 85% stocking level. i was thinking a bristlenose pleco? i would prefer schooling fish, but I would like it to be at least three.
( was not quite sure to put this so i stuck it here.)

IME cherry barbs are nippers, I returned a school because when they weren't terrorizing each other, they were tormenting other fish. I wouldn't even consider the GBR's until your tank is well established. There are endless stocking options with a 40b. I have one and love it. Are you planning on a planted tank?

IME cherry barbs are nippers, I returned a school because when they weren't terrorizing each other, they were tormenting other fish. I wouldn't even consider the GBR's until your tank is well established. There are endless stocking options with a 40b. I have one and love it. Are you planning on a planted tank?

Yes, I am planning on a planted tank. The cherry barbs and guppies are from my old 10 gallon. the barbs I have are quite shy and not nippers. Every once in awhile the males will chase the females. I am thinking about angels. i have heard that they can be housed with cardinals with high attention. While you are at it, could someone tell me if you can "train" angels not to eat cardinals?
Thanks, fishyfreak

Funny you should mention angels, I've been through a bit of drama trying to keep them. They are my favorite though, and a couple of them would make a great addition to your tank. Most folks keep them with no issues. As far as training them, you could always try what someone suggested to me.....when you see them going for a cardinal simply wave a frying pan at them, they'll get the idea. :brows:

Angels typically will not eat tetras like cardinals in home aquaria, particularly if the angels are the garden variety and you get them small. There are always exceptions to this, of course, but unless you're housing wild type angels like altums I wouldn't be too concerned about them.

Angels typically will not eat tetras like cardinals in home aquaria, particularly if the angels are the garden variety and you get them small. There are always exceptions to this, of course, but unless you're housing wild type angels like altums I wouldn't be too concerned about them.

+1 Mine never even seemed interested in eating my cardinals.

Funny you should mention angels, I've been through a bit of drama trying to keep them. They are my favorite though, and a couple of them would make a great addition to your tank. Most folks keep them with no issues. As far as training them, you could always try what someone suggested to me.....when you see them going for a cardinal simply wave a frying pan at them, they'll get the idea. :brows:

Holy Lord Reygan! Which crazy mean person would have come up with an idea such as that?? ?

Getting 2 angels won't work, one will beat the snot out of the other. Get 5-6 young ones then return the extras after you have an established pair. Same with any cichlid, Ram's, krib's, etc.

Back
Top Bottom