40 Breeder stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey thats great! Sounds like you got some good stock there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think so! Plus they are peacefully cohabiting with my livebearers, or at least they are now. Hopefully they will breed once mature and then they might not like their neighbors so much...

That's any cichlid though,.my dwarfs are ruthless when in spawn, one of my new juvie girls up ended a full grown cory last night like a line backer..

That's any cichlid though,.my dwarfs are ruthless when in spawn, one of my new juvie girls up ended a full grown cory last night like a line backer..

That's kind of scary. Cories are tough little buggers!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's kind of scary. Cories are tough little buggers!

Corys was fine, just shows how feisty those little guys are.

Pic Update!

Now that they have grown one male has become much larger than the others and it appears that I only have one female :(

I have not seen any pairing behavior yet, so hopefully the others can stay for a little while. Or should I remove some of the other males to promote pairing?

Anyways, here are the pics!

Attachments

• DSCN2263.jpg
    DSCN2263.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN2264.jpg
    DSCN2264.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 58
I have not seen any pairing behavior yet, so hopefully the others can stay for a little while. Or should I remove some of the other males to promote pairing?
I would let them pair on their own before removing anyone unless aggression becomes overwhelming between the males before pairing occurs.

Last edited:
I would let them pair on their own before removing anyone unless aggression becomes overwhelming between the males before pairing occurs.

Thats what I thought, but I have never had a group of fish with the intent of getting a pair, so I wasn't sure.

also, no crazy aggression between the males. The biggest has found himself a spot on my rock pile that he shoos the other males away from, but no nipping yet.

Thanks!

Hi all!

Some new behaviors starting with these guys. They are starting to make digits in the sand under my wisteria, driftwood, and leaning rocks. They are also starting to display with the one obvious female.

Are there certain signs besides staying with one male that I should be looking for to tell me that I have a pair?

Here are some pics! I apologize for my dirty glass, but I saw the female hanging out and I just started snapping. She is always on the move so I have had a incredibly hard time trying to photograph her, but I finally got her!

Attachments

• DSCN2318.jpg
    DSCN2318.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN2328.jpg
    DSCN2328.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN2339.jpg
    DSCN2339.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN2330.jpg
    DSCN2330.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 49
Also, I noticed this stringy stuff starting to grow on my drift wood. I believe is is due to too much light, so I have adjusted my lighting schedule, but I am hoping someone cane help me identify what it is exactly. (Sorry for the terrible sentence structure)

It has a pale greenish color and the strands are spirally.

Attachments

• DSCN2325.jpg
    DSCN2325.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 59
Fish look great, sounds like spawning behavior.. that stuff growing?? Odd.. i had a branch start growing random "algae??" It ended growing into a moss like covering...

So, are you suggesting I keep them all (8) in the tank till I see fry?
I was actually just joking. Apparently....not very well.

If you are keeping an eye on them you should see them preparing a spawning site. In all honestly, since they are small still you probably could wait until you had eggs unless aggression gets too bad.

Nice job on the tank. Haven't kept this particular species, so probably not much help here - looking forward to seeing them with a bit more color though. Looks to me from the pictures that you can expect that those two are likely to pair. If aggression does become an issue, I'd pull the others, but for now you should be ok to leave them till you see actual evidence of a pair bond as Dalto said.

I was actually just joking. Apparently....not very well.

If you are keeping an eye on them you should see them preparing a spawning site. In all honestly, since they are small still you probably could wait until you had eggs unless aggression gets too bad.

Oops. I am usually much better at catching sarcasm :)

Nice job on the tank. Haven't kept this particular species, so probably not much help here - looking forward to seeing them with a bit more color though. Looks to me from the pictures that you can expect that those two are likely to pair. If aggression does become an issue, I'd pull the others, but for now you should be ok to leave them till you see actual evidence of a pair bond as Dalto said.

I am seeing 3 of the males doing their show off for her, so they may form a pair very soon :) they are about 2.5-3 inches now an getting bulky :)

They are also starting to show color on their gill plates :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422727918.119961.jpg

I know it has been a long while but I thought I would let you all know that after down sizing my number of tanks, which was painful, I still have those Cryptoheros Nanoluteus! Their growth has slowed, but they are definitely still growing. They are now in a 55 with some bronze corys, Pygmy corys, and some blue star endlers. They really seem to love the longer tank.

Thanks for all your help in choosing these fish! I am really enjoying them!

Back
Top Bottom