40 g breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jakester334

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was wondering if I could add maybe 2 german blue rams or a gourami to my 40G tank? Don't really know if these fish will fight with my angels even though my angels are pretty calm.

The rams are the safer bet. Since you have other bottom dwellers, I would go with 1 ram or 2 of the same sex.

Alright, are they any signs of picking a good German Blue Ram when I go to the store like nice full belly, good color etc....? Thanks for the help

Well they are very sensitive. I had all but given up on them until recently. I had purchased 5 from different shops and none lived more than a month. I'm on my 6th now (ran into this beauty one day and just couldn't pass it up), and it is the healthiest specimen I've had so far. It's been six weeks so far, and it's vibrant and active in a way none of my previous ones were. The problem is breeding practices have weakened the fish, and the rams in the shops were bred at an incredibly low pH, usually around 5.5, so acclimating them to a significantly higher pH is asking a lot. If you can find a local breeder that has actually raised them in your local water, you will have a far greater chance at getting a specimen that can thrive in your water.

So, it's a little tricky to pick a so-called healthy specimen. They are fairly easy to sex though. Look at the black spot and if it has a blue sheen on it it's a female. If it's opaque it's a male.

If the risk is too great for you with the GBR's, go for bolivian rams. They are much hardier. While still beauties, IMO they just aren't as spectacular as the GBR's.

Thanks for the help. Went and got them today. They are looking healthy and swimming around alot.

So far so good. They are swimming around alot and they ate when I feed them last night and this morning so all signs are looking good so far.

Heres a pic of them. Sorry if a little blurry only got my phones camera and its not that good. But both of them were swimming together and got a pic of it.

Lets try this again the pic isnt showing....so here we go

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom