Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2019, 06:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

40 gallon breeder stocking

I have a golden wonder killifish in my 40 gallon breeder right now and it's moderately planted (i would get more plants to fill it out if I added these fish)
I was wondering if i could possibly add a golden ram pair or an apistogramma harem (which ones better?)
And adding a school of tiger barbs and how many should I add?
Could i possibly add albino tiger barbs in with normal tiger barbs, would they school together?

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like an aggressive tank

Old 12-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Definitely doable but ime tiger barbs are terrors
Old 12-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah, I was trying to fit their aggressiveness in with my aggressive killifish, I'll probably try to fit as many barbs as I can to lower their aggression and I believe my killifish can handle is own.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not a good idea IMHO
Old 12-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Could you clarify why so I would know what was wrong with my plan?
Old 12-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

To clarify, as others have mentioned, Tiger Barbs are aggressive. And very active. They are not a good fit except with other similar sized barbs or similar fish. Killifish are not a good pairing with tiger barbs. I've bred tiger barbs and have had them in schools of dozens. They are still aggressive.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlederer View Post
To clarify, as others have mentioned, Tiger Barbs are aggressive. And very active. They are not a good fit except with other similar sized barbs or similar fish. Killifish are not a good pairing with tiger barbs. I've bred tiger barbs and have had them in schools of dozens. They are still aggressive.
Have you ever dealt with golden wonder killifish with tiger barbs? There are other smaller killifish that would not be able to deal with tiger barbs but golden wonder killifish are the most aggressive and active species of killifish and they tend to eat anything smaller than a tiger barb. I thought they would be a good fit because my golden wonder killifish is also really aggressive and he can't be with many other tankmates.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe Golden Wonders are aggressive as well, but that's another reason not to put them in with Tiger Barbs. Why would you put two aggressive species together? That's just asking for trouble. No, I have not kept the two species together and I never would.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It's going to be a semi-aggressive aquarium, I wouldn't put anything peaceful or small with the killifish or he would eat them, he just needs some large, quick moving tankmates. I also wouldn't put anything peaceful or with long fins with tiger barbs because they would also tear them apart. I have seen other posts where people have put them together and they've worked out well but you seem to think it is the worst idea on the planet?
Old 12-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's not the worst idea on the planet. I just think it's unnecessary, if not unkind, to put two aggressive species together. The BEST that could happen is that they get along.

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder, gallon, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com