40 Gallon Firemouth Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up a 40gallon breeder today (thank you petco sale) and put in pool filter sand along with a topfin 60 and a large rock cave. I want to have a pair for firemouth cichlids but am unsure what else to put in with them, looking for some ideas. what do you guys think?

I say nothing else, firemouth pairs are beyond aggressive and will usually kill anything, especially when spawning. You could try a smaller pleco or maybe fast target fish but that'd be it probably.

Whats a breeder tank? I keep seeing people say that.

GodFan said:
Whats a breeder tank? I keep seeing people say that.

Its a tank that is more shallow and has a bigger footprint than standard tanks, which makes it great for growing plants because it's shallower and wider and for breeding because there's more floor space for pairs.

Its a tank that is more shallow and has a bigger footprint than standard tanks, which makes it great for growing plants because it's shallower and wider and for breeding because there's more floor space for pairs.
Thank you I was so confused lol

I say nothing else, firemouth pairs are beyond aggressive and will usually kill anything, especially when spawning. You could try a smaller pleco or maybe fast target fish but that'd be it probably.

Um actually, they aren't that nasty. Mine are with some of their fry, 2 SAEs and 4 golden dojos in a 55g.

See I was thinking about just going with the pair and a Pleco that would be my ideal tank anyways. Thanks for the info mate.

DragonFish71 said:
Um actually, they aren't that nasty. Mine are with some of their fry, 2 SAEs and 4 golden dojos in a 55g.

Really? I've always heard they were. Well, experience is always where most information comes from. Thanks for sharing! :)

Really? I've always heard they were. Well, experience is always where most information comes from. Thanks for sharing! :)

They have their moments, like when they're spawning and their yearling fry try to get in the way, but really are nothing compared to convicts. Those are some snotty lil' guys, but I love 'em too.

Im changing from firemouths to a breeding group of blue peacock cichlids. ordered my Whisper 100 air pump and 3x Fluval 300Watt heaters (Only 19.99! Fosterandsmith.com) One for my 90 gallon, 29 gallon, and 40 gallon. My filter will be finished seeding next week and I may buy them then to get them all settled in. I do however Need to create some more caves I think in my 40gallon tank. Im going to have 3 females and 1 male. Right now I have 3 caves.

Back
Top Bottom