40 gallon Show Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Awhile ago I said I would try and find a good 40 gallon tank. Well I found a 38 that I will probably get, it's in my price range and comes with filtration. I will get better lighting, plant it real well, and use my current 6 black neon tetras to cycle it. Slowly (I learned the no more than 3 fish at a time rule the hard way) I plan on getting 5 zebra danios, 7 silver tip tetras, 6 marbled hatchetfish, either 4 or 5 glass catfish, and 2 dwarf gouramis. Aqadvisor said with good filtration, I would be at 78% with those.... Well I was thinking is there anybody who would say it is way too crowded with like 30 fish? The glass cats get the biggest out of all of them, and the average size of fish between them is 2 inches. Oh, and I am also trying to decide a bottom dweller- Either a peacock eel or cories. I will be getting most of my fish from my lfs, which is INCREDIBLY good at keeping healthy fish, but the silver tips I have to get from petco. I am really excited- But is it too many fish?

I would say remove one or both DG. They can get aggressive. I have one in my 10-gal that bites me frequently. They have a tendency to fight with each other. Watch with the danios also. They like to nip fins, and it's said that 6+ helps this. I would think with a large enough school and nothing with very nip-able fins, that should be fairly fine.

For bottom feeders, I recommend Cory cats. They like groups and are very entertaining on top of keeping the bottom of the tank clean. The only issue would be they need sand. Gravel tends to be hard in their barbels and when the barbels get damaged, cories can die.

I would say 30 fish with an average of 2inchs might be afew too many. Whats the footprint of the tank? Is it tall or long?

It is a long tank. It will be semi heavily planted Wotan few if any decor. I think I'm going to drop the danios, and I might replace them with a honey gourami? I woo ups also not get dgs. Are dwarf loaches bottom dwellers, and would they be appropriate for my setup?

Well probably I won't get danios, instead I will get some cories, and no eel. The eels actually get up to like 9 inches, so that's kinda big. Are Dwarf loaches ok?

Back
Top Bottom