40B Build - Doing Lots of Stuff I'm Not Supposed To Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting choice with the black blast.

As far as damaging fish, it just depends on what kinds of bottom dwellers you have. It does not sit well with soft-skinned fish that really like to get in there and dig/burrow - I've had it and other supposedly bottom dweller safe substrates really tear up the faces of some fish. One of my earlier catfish lost some of his barbels and had small lacerations on his snout from aggressively digging in it. Imo fine grained sand is a better choice for that type of bottom dweller, but if your fish aren't hurting themselves on it, more power to you.

There are different grades of Black Blast. The stuff I have is about the same roughness as play sand. My scaleless pictus cat digs in the blasting compound all the time and I haven't see any damage at all.

Well I couldn't get the Blasting sand but I was able to get the Black Tahitian Moon Sand, I got 75lbs for 30 bucks, so hopefully it will be as nice as your sand, I got it for 55gal build I'll be doing when I move. Truly inspired by the way your fish and plants really pop out with the dark sand. I love it. I'm going to try for a Brackish Water tank...i hope it works out cause I want a GSP or two...

Back
Top Bottom