40g breeder tank stocking questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After some research and some apartment rearranging, my girlfriend and I picked up a 40g breeder tank today. We have been researching al kinds of fish and have been trying to figure out what we want to put in it. We have put together a list that we would like to see in the tank, but I would like to post it here to see what other people think...

Glowlight Danio x 6
Badis Badis x 2
Blue Paradise x 1
Ram German Gold x 2 or Blue
Bolivian Ram x 2
Peppermint Plecostomus or Thomasi Pleco (which ever is available at the time)
Leopard Bush Fish x 1*

*I want this fish BAD, I think it's so bad ***, and I'm going to have all the live plants and hiding spots necessary for it, I just dont know how its going to get along with everything else...I cant find a lot of information on it.

Is this reasonable for a 40g breeder tank? Would this be considered overstocked? This is what we are hoping to have eventually...

I know this is a long way away, we are going to pick up some plants and everything else needed to start the tank this weekend. We just wanted to have an idea where the tank would go eventually. Feedback?

Boeseman's need a much bigger tank than a 40, like a 55 gallon. I've never heard of badis badis or leopard fish so IDK. Eveything else however sounds fine, except get a regular molly. Balloons are more prone to diseases like bloat, swimming problems...etc.

I wouldn't put the rainbows in... they would really do better in a bigger tank. Some may say they'd be fine, but I wouldn't. I won't give you the speech on balloon fish, but I highly recommend against buying them. If the bush fish is what is commonly referred to as a spotted leaf fish, it might be ok. I've read (notice I say read.... no real experience with them) that they'll prey on smaller fish, which your neons would probably fall in to.

All in all, I think the list, minus the rainbows and balloon molly, would be fine... the neons might become snacks, but then again, they may not.

Boeseman's need a much bigger tank than a 40, like a 55 gallon. I've never heard of badis badis or leopard fish so IDK. Eveything else however sounds fine, except get a regular molly. Balloons are more prone to diseases like bloat, swimming problems...etc.

Maybe a Marigold Wag Swordtail instead of the Balloon Molly?

I wouldn't put the rainbows in... they would really do better in a bigger tank. Some may say they'd be fine, but I wouldn't. I won't give you the speech on balloon fish, but I highly recommend against buying them. If the bush fish is what is commonly referred to as a spotted leaf fish, it might be ok. I've read (notice I say read.... no real experience with them) that they'll prey on smaller fish, which your neons would probably fall in to.

All in all, I think the list, minus the rainbows and balloon molly, would be fine... the neons might become snacks, but then again, they may not.

and both of you say the rainbows shouldnt go in the tank. I'm just wonderings why? Are they fast swimmers? Do they need more open water to swim?

All of the above. They're active fish. They do like a lot of current too. I have a rainbow only tank (well.. a few tetras and bottom feeders too) and they are all over the tank. They were in a 125, now in a 150.. they don't stop.

You can check out liveaquaria for the fish you have listed. The badis badis might not work, they are small and shy fish, they might be better in a species tank. I think they only grow to an inch when full grown, not 100% sure.

All of the above. They're active fish. They do like a lot of current too. I have a rainbow only tank (well.. a few tetras and bottom feeders too) and they are all over the tank. They were in a 125, now in a 150.. they don't stop.

Thats a shame, I loved the coloration of them, but if they need more space, it's not worth it.

You can check out liveaquaria for the fish you have listed. The badis badis might not work, they are small and shy fish, they might be better in a species tank. I think they only grow to an inch when full grown, not 100% sure.

LiveAquaria says they can get up to 3", and it says theyre peaceful in a community tank.

How can I find out where certain fish like to be in the tank, like top, middle, or bottom dwellers? Also, where can I get more information on how often fish need to be fed? I would like to put a nice well rounded tank together.

How can I find out where certain fish like to be in the tank, like top, middle, or bottom dwellers? Also, where can I get more information on how often fish need to be fed? I would like to put a nice well rounded tank together.

You can't. It all depends on a fish's behavior. For example, most people say gouramis love top be at the top but my gourami loves the substrate instead. Cories love the bottom and stay there most of the time but mine like to hang on the leaves of my plants.

Fish diets depend on the fish. The best place to get all that information is on here. Generally all fish can have frozen food, pellets, flakes, and other types of foods.

You can't. It all depends on a fish's behavior. For example, most people say gouramis love top be at the top but my gourami loves the substrate instead. Cories love the bottom and stay there most of the time but mine like to hang on the leaves of my plants.

Fish diets depend on the fish. The best place to get all that information is on here. Generally all fish can have frozen food, pellets, flakes, and other types of foods.

Sounds like a lot of having a aquarium is trial and error. I am just trying to prevent a huge disaster, but I guess slowly stocking the tank and watching over everything thats happening is the best option.

I updated my list of fish I want after reading a lot more. Anyone have any more feedback?

I'm not sure what the scarlet blue is. I think just decide on the gold rams or bolivians, I don't know if you can keep both in a tank if they pair up. You could try, IDK if it'll work.

I'm not sure what the scarlet blue is. I think just decide on the gold rams or bolivians, I don't know if you can keep both in a tank if they pair up. You could try, IDK if it'll work.

I need to read more on the breeding aspect of them both I guess. I dont want this to happen at all, and I thought them both being peaceful fish, it wouldnt be a problem, but I guess it wouldnt hurt to read some more about them both.

OR I could just get one of each no? Would that avoid the problem?

Back
Top Bottom