Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 581
40g breeder tank stocking questions...

After some research and some apartment rearranging, my girlfriend and I picked up a 40g breeder tank today. We have been researching al kinds of fish and have been trying to figure out what we want to put in it. We have put together a list that we would like to see in the tank, but I would like to post it here to see what other people think...

Glowlight Danio x 6
Badis Badis x 2
Blue Paradise x 1
Ram German Gold x 2 or Blue
Bolivian Ram x 2
Peppermint Plecostomus or Thomasi Pleco (which ever is available at the time)
Leopard Bush Fish x 1*

*I want this fish BAD, I think it's so bad ***, and I'm going to have all the live plants and hiding spots necessary for it, I just dont know how its going to get along with everything else...I cant find a lot of information on it.

Is this reasonable for a 40g breeder tank? Would this be considered overstocked? This is what we are hoping to have eventually...

I know this is a long way away, we are going to pick up some plants and everything else needed to start the tank this weekend. We just wanted to have an idea where the tank would go eventually. Feedback?
__________________

__________________
FishN00b83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bruinsbro1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California Coastline
Posts: 5,663
Boeseman's need a much bigger tank than a 40, like a 55 gallon. I've never heard of badis badis or leopard fish so IDK. Eveything else however sounds fine, except get a regular molly. Balloons are more prone to diseases like bloat, swimming problems...etc.
__________________

__________________
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,409
I wouldn't put the rainbows in... they would really do better in a bigger tank. Some may say they'd be fine, but I wouldn't. I won't give you the speech on balloon fish, but I highly recommend against buying them. If the bush fish is what is commonly referred to as a spotted leaf fish, it might be ok. I've read (notice I say read.... no real experience with them) that they'll prey on smaller fish, which your neons would probably fall in to.

All in all, I think the list, minus the rainbows and balloon molly, would be fine... the neons might become snacks, but then again, they may not.
__________________
-Jonathan

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
Boeseman's need a much bigger tank than a 40, like a 55 gallon. I've never heard of badis badis or leopard fish so IDK. Eveything else however sounds fine, except get a regular molly. Balloons are more prone to diseases like bloat, swimming problems...etc.
Maybe a Marigold Wag Swordtail instead of the Balloon Molly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I wouldn't put the rainbows in... they would really do better in a bigger tank. Some may say they'd be fine, but I wouldn't. I won't give you the speech on balloon fish, but I highly recommend against buying them. If the bush fish is what is commonly referred to as a spotted leaf fish, it might be ok. I've read (notice I say read.... no real experience with them) that they'll prey on smaller fish, which your neons would probably fall in to.

All in all, I think the list, minus the rainbows and balloon molly, would be fine... the neons might become snacks, but then again, they may not.
and both of you say the rainbows shouldnt go in the tank. I'm just wonderings why? Are they fast swimmers? Do they need more open water to swim?
__________________
FishN00b83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,409
All of the above. They're active fish. They do like a lot of current too. I have a rainbow only tank (well.. a few tetras and bottom feeders too) and they are all over the tank. They were in a 125, now in a 150.. they don't stop.
__________________
-Jonathan

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: mason City, iowa
Posts: 552
You can check out liveaquaria for the fish you have listed. The badis badis might not work, they are small and shy fish, they might be better in a species tank. I think they only grow to an inch when full grown, not 100% sure.
__________________
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
All of the above. They're active fish. They do like a lot of current too. I have a rainbow only tank (well.. a few tetras and bottom feeders too) and they are all over the tank. They were in a 125, now in a 150.. they don't stop.
Thats a shame, I loved the coloration of them, but if they need more space, it's not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean View Post
You can check out liveaquaria for the fish you have listed. The badis badis might not work, they are small and shy fish, they might be better in a species tank. I think they only grow to an inch when full grown, not 100% sure.
LiveAquaria says they can get up to 3", and it says theyre peaceful in a community tank.
__________________
FishN00b83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: mason City, iowa
Posts: 552
Oops my mistake, I was thinking of the the Scarlet badis.
__________________
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 581
How can I find out where certain fish like to be in the tank, like top, middle, or bottom dwellers? Also, where can I get more information on how often fish need to be fed? I would like to put a nice well rounded tank together.
__________________
FishN00b83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bruinsbro1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California Coastline
Posts: 5,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83 View Post
How can I find out where certain fish like to be in the tank, like top, middle, or bottom dwellers? Also, where can I get more information on how often fish need to be fed? I would like to put a nice well rounded tank together.
You can't. It all depends on a fish's behavior. For example, most people say gouramis love top be at the top but my gourami loves the substrate instead. Cories love the bottom and stay there most of the time but mine like to hang on the leaves of my plants.

Fish diets depend on the fish. The best place to get all that information is on here. Generally all fish can have frozen food, pellets, flakes, and other types of foods.
__________________

__________________
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder, breeder tank, stocking, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used tank came with fish, have several questions. zparticle New Acquisitions 60 08-21-2011 11:37 PM
Advice on newish (and first) tropical/fresh 10 gallon... FoxGlove Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 07-25-2011 12:22 PM
New with questions jmpgop Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 16 07-18-2011 11:15 PM
Some Information and Questions Dangora Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 17 07-18-2011 07:30 PM
Finally done cycling: Have some stocking questions firteen888 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 18 06-27-2011 02:12 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.