30g tall stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalypsosFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

Just picked up a 30g tall tank and am starting the fishless cycle process.
I want to start getting ideas right away for stocking. I was thinking an opaline gourami for my centrepiece fish as I love them but would take other suggestions.
I have some platies and a molly that I would like to put in from a different tank.
Wondering what other types of small community schools I could put
Thanks!

Hi all!

Just picked up a 30g tall tank and am starting the fishless cycle process.
I want to start getting ideas right away for stocking. I was thinking an opaline gourami for my centrepiece fish as I love them but would take other suggestions.
I have some platies and a molly that I would like to put in from a different tank.
Wondering what other types of small community schools I could put
Thanks!

Skip the Opaline Gourami (they can get up to 6 inches) and go with some Honey Gourami. They are very peaceful and will stay smaller.

Some schoaling fish that may be of interest to you:

• Small Corydoras (Panda, Albino, etc.)
• Various tetras (Bentos, Black/Red Phantom, Ember, Emperor, Cardinal, Green Neon, etc.)
• Small, peaceful Barbs such as Cherry Barbs
• There are many varieties of small Rasboras, with the Harlequin Rasbora being the most common.
• Kuhli Loaches

Skip the Opaline Gourami (they can get up to 6 inches) and go with some Honey Gourami. They are very peaceful and will stay smaller.

Some schoaling fish that may be of interest to you:

• Small Corydoras (Panda, Albino, etc.)
• Various tetras (Bentos, Black/Red Phantom, Ember, Emperor, Cardinal, Green Neon, etc.)
• Small, peaceful Barbs such as Cherry Barbs
• There are many varieties of small Rasboras, with the Harlequin Rasbora being the most common.
• Kuhli Loaches

Thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas! Do you think I could sub a pearl for the opaline or are they too large as well? I was really hoping for one of the more standout types

Pear Gouramis don't get quite as big, but I question the need for a "centerpiece fish". Most all fish do better in groups or at least pairs. Why isolate one fish of a species when they certainly would be happier with others of their kind. There are exceptions, like a betta, but putting a lone gourami with other species seems rather sad.

Pear Gouramis don't get quite as big, but I question the need for a "centerpiece fish". Most all fish do better in groups or at least pairs. Why isolate one fish of a species when they certainly would be happier with others of their kind. There are exceptions, like a betta, but putting a lone gourami with other species seems rather sad.

It's not so much a need, just that I really love the fish. As far as I had known, they did just as well on their own. All of the research I've done has never specified that they must be with others of their kind. I've also seen many tank set ups with one lone gourami and they've always been great. So thank you for letting me know that I shouldn't.
Do you know of any smaller, but still interesting, fish that I could keep with the size tank I have?

Back
Top Bottom