45 gallon with Angelfish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
So if you read one of my threads a while back about a fish for my sister well that tanks been decommissioned and instead we're getting her a 45 gallon tank! She wants angelfish and dalmatian mollies but will that work? I was planning on getting two angelfish for the tank and she also wants some mollies. I know that the mollies thrive in a brackish environment but will they do okay with only fresh and with angels?

mollies will do just fine in freshwater. I don't see why your stock won't work but I will let someone more experienced give you a reliable answer :) However.... I'm pretty sure that'll be fine :)

Flossie said:
mollies will do just fine in freshwater. I don't see why your stock won't work but I will let someone more experienced give you a reliable answer :) However.... I'm pretty sure that'll be fine :)

Thanks, I just needed to know if some other people thought that this would be okay:)

AquaKai said:
Thanks, I just needed to know if some other people thought that this would be okay:)

My grandma has angels and mollies together... Well one Mollie! Lol

If we had 2 angelfish, 4 dalmatian mollies, and 7 cories, would glo-light tetras work or any other schools work? Or would it be full with the angels, mollies, and cories

AquaKai said:
If we had 2 angelfish, 4 dalmatian mollies, and 7 cories, would glo-light tetras work or any other schools work? Or would it be full with the angels, mollies, and cories

I bet u could probably fit a small school of some kind of tetra...

Thanks! We'll probably end up getting like 7-10 glowlight tetras, 5 snails, and 20 ghost shrimp (yes I know they'll probably get eaten, but hey they only cost $.33) this is all with 2 angelfish, 4 mollies, and 6 cories:). We're excited for this tank!!

AquaKai said:
Thanks! We'll probably end up getting like 7-10 glowlight tetras, 5 snails, and 20 ghost shrimp (yes I know they'll probably get eaten, but hey they only cost $.33) this is all with 2 angelfish, 4 mollies, and 6 cories:). We're excited for this tank!!

The angels might pick off the shrimp, just provide them with plenty of hiding spots.

I'm planning to move some guppy grass and Xmas moss into the tank, as well as a bubbler cave thing we found at petsmart:)

If we got rid of the mollies, how many schools of 7 or more tetras could we get? We'll get 2 angelfish, 5 snails, 7 cories, and 10or 20 ghost shrimp and how many other tetras we can. Ps this is a 45 gallon tank!

These are the fish we would love to have 7 cardinal tetras, 7 silver hatchetfish, and 7 red minor tetra, would that be too much?

I guess you may be able to pull it off if you take out the mollies. However I would think twice about cardinal tetras with angelfish, as they are their natural prey in the wild. Unless of course you buy small angels and let them "grow up" with the cardinals.

That's what I've been planning on doing but I've heard that even then it can be a risk... I thought since they were bigger than neons they might work, but I guess we'll look at other ones. Any suggestions?

Yeah I wouldn't risk it just to be safe. But harlequin rasboras seem to be a better option because of their irregular body shape. I haven't tried black neon tetras but they seem to have a different body shape than cardinals/neons so that might work... But then again, who knows? Harlequins seem to be one of your safer bets.

TotallyCoral said:
Yeah I wouldn't risk it just to be safe. But harlequin rasboras seem to be a better option because of their irregular body shape. I haven't tried black neon tetras but they seem to have a different body shape than cardinals/neons so that might work... But then again, who knows? Harlequins seem to be one of your safer bets.

Okay thanks for the option! Will defiantly look into those when buying fish. (I actually really wanted those for my tank but the theme got switched so hopefully I can convince my sister;))

TotallyCoral said:
Yeah, no problem! Good luck with the tank! I really wanna see the final project!

I do too! We're getting the tank tomorrow, but we can't set it up until her room is done(she got new flooring) then all I have to do is work for some $$$. Then get sand and a good filter system, and, and,and! Wow this list seems long... But hopefully it'll go by quickly!!:D Especially if I use a filter from my turtle tank and put the new one in there... Quick cycling;)

Haha, yeah I know how it is with the $$$. I'm still trying to get my 46gal up and running. Well, hard work and patience always wins in the end. ;)

Yeah well hopefully tomorrow is not as hot as today because my yard and the neighbor's yard needs mowed and weeds picked, which will give me some $ for filters (which will be the first thing that I buy)! Fingers crossed for cooler weather!

Back
Top Bottom