Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

46 Gallon Tank - Gourami Tankmates

The company that I work for has gotten me a 46 gallon bow tank for my office. This will be the first real tank that I'll be caring for so needless to say I'm pretty clueless with fish keeping and which fish go well with which fish. So, right now I'm in the process of researching which types of fish to put in it.

I've gone to a few local pet stores and here are my favorites so far... Opeline Gouramis, Pearl Gouramis, Clown Loachs, Pleco, Ropefish, Red-tailed Sharks, Bala Sharks, Iridescent Sharks, and pretty much any of the African Cichlids.

From what I've learned so far (and from a little common sense ) I'm very much aware that not all of these fish are compatible nor would they all fit in a 46 gallon tank when they're full grown. I refuse to buy fish with the thought that I'll just return or sell them when they become to large for the tank. So with that said, I've already cut quite a few of them (the Clown Loach, Ropefish, Bala Shark, Iridescent Shark, and Cichlids). If everything goes well with the tank at work, I'll likely invest in a larger one for my home. At that time, I'd get some bigger fish. Now after making this cut, that leaves the following which I would really love to have in my first community tank.. Opeline Gouramis and Pearl Gouramis (not so sure on the qty yet), a Pleco and/or catfishes, a Red-tailed Shark or two, and perhaps some snails. Again from what I've read, these seem to be pretty compatible with each other. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Now my questions:

1 - If these are acceptible tankmates, what would the recommended qtys of each be for a 46 gallon tank. I would like to have as many of the Gouramis (Opeline and Pearl) that would be acceptible. These are my favorite so far so I would basically be planning the community around them.

2 - I'm worried that if I get an opposite sex pair of Gouramis that they will breed. Being a complete newbie to fish keeping I don't want to have to worry about taking care of 'fry'. Then again, if I get same sex pairings won't that increase the aggressiveness in the Gouramis?

3 - One last question, the guy at the pet store recommended that we buy fish in 3's to avoid sudden overcrowding and to prevent the danger levels in the thank from skyrocketing. This sounds pretty logical to me, but I was wondering if this a general good rule to go by? What 3 fish of my choices should I start with? How long after I introduce my first 3 can I add the next fish?

That's it for now! All I want is a happy and healthy fish community (with some variety) who will be fun to watch and take care of. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
- Mandy

Old 04-02-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Hey Mandy,
Is your tank completly cycled? What are your readings (ph in particular)? If these conditions are fine, then I would recommend not getting more than 3 fish at a time. That seems to be pretty good advice. IF you really enjoy gouramis, I would say that you could probably get 4-6 of them. They will be slightly more agressive towards the same sex, or they may not, as it depends on the fish. From what I have heard gouramis do not mate that readily in an aquarium. THey need to make little bubble nests with their mucus and prever coverd surfaces to do this on, so if you dont have any lily-pad type plants they likely wont mate. I am not sure but if they build a bubble nest you may be able to just destroy it (birth control). I would get one plecostomus as they get so big, or you could get several of the smaller speecies that dont get very big. I would also recommend any type of Corydoras as they ahve a lot of personality adn are beautiful, CHeck out hte Julii or Panda Corydoras. I also love tetras and it sounds like any type would be a wonderful addition to your peaceful community. Hope this helps. I shoudl let you know that I have only a few years experience, but my advice has been conservative so it is true.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Multiple Male gouramis will not usually get along that well, however you may be able to get more than 3 gouramis of the same type with only a small amount of aggression. Or, you could get 3 females per male gourami. If they breed and you don't want fry just leave the fry and the fry will prob get eaten.
If you would like more than one pleco you could get a few bristlenose plecos. They stay small,
but some of the bigger plecos look nicer.
Schooling fish would look nice in the community (bigger tetras, rainbowfish)
If you aren't getting any african cichlids, then angelfish would make a nice replacement. They are in the cichlid family but will eat small fish like neon tetras. They will usually get along with gouramis and have tons of personality.

Gouramis prefer lots of plants and hiding places so if you are going to have lots of gouramis you will need plenty of plants and rocks and driftwood. The plants can be real, plastic or silk, it is your choice. Plecos will also benefit from driftwood. Make sure that if you will get plecos you have smooth substrate, not sharp or it can harm their mouths.

Finally, read up on the cycling process asap, and find out suitable equipment (filter heater lighting).
Old 04-02-2005, 08:52 PM   #4
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
If you get quite a few gouramis they will need hiding places just in case they get picked on by the others. When its feeding time they usually will let them all eat without any aggression unless they get just way too close that one gets annoyed. I used to worry about my gouramis a lot since they would pick on each other sometimes but large ornaments and plants really help in keeping them feeling more relaxed and less territorial. The males are usually more territorial than the females. Oh, and try and get them all about the same size. I've noticed that it's mainly the bigger ones picking on the smaller ones.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you end up getting a red-tail shark get just one. As they mature they become very territorial and do not tolerate conspecifics and sometimes even like colored/shaped fish.
I had 2 in a heavily planted 80 gallon with lots of driftwood, rocks and caves. The larger shark would harass the smaller one relentlessly. The smaller one would hide behind the filter intake or anywhere else he would fit, but to no avail. After a few days when it became apparent the chasing would not stop I moved the smaller one to my 46.
penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for all of the feedback!

As of right now, I have a large rock type formation with several holes in it, one tall plant, one small plant, and another large rock formation with some plant like branches coming off of it. The bottom of the tank is covered with white gravel. Now that I'm learning more, I've learned about driftwood. I'll most likely buy something of that type tomorrow to put in. Should I also get a Lava Rock? Someone at work (who's the know it all type) said that Lava Rocks help to balance the PH level. Is this correct? Will it be bad if I don't get one?

I'm not sure what kind of equipment (heater, filter, etc.) is on the tank, but I can find out Monday. Right now the heater is set for 72°.

This Monday I'll be taking some time to learn how to test the water for all of the different levels. If everything looks good by next Monday (4/11) I'll be making my first fish purchase. Most likely I'll get a pair of Gouramis just to start out. Now the question is, what should I get for the third fish? Should it be a pleco or a catfish, maybe something else? Being that it's gravel at the bottom of the tank would one be better off? Also, if I go by the 'buy fish in 3's rule', would snails count as a fish?

Thanks again,
- Mandy
Old 04-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Driftwood lowers Ph. What is the ph of your tapwater. Sorry, but i don't recomend you put the gouramis in yet until your tank has cycled. How long has your tank been running ?
Old 04-02-2005, 11:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, so is driftwood more effective and a better choice over lava rocks?

I don't know what the Ph level is yet, but I will gladly post them once we find out. We just set everything up yesterday (Fri). We are planning on starting the testing on Monday and we will go from there. We just ran out of time after everything was set up on Friday. We are planning on running it until next Monday before any fish go in there.

What exactly is meant by cycling? I've done a few searches online, but I can't seem to find a definite answer.

- Mandy
Old 04-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We can determine the rock you s hould use when we know the ph level.

Check out this article for cycling info.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=21

It is best to cycle the tank before you put the fish in. Cycling ccan go from 2-6 wks i think.
However, Bio Spira is a product which is sort of like an instant cycle.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #10
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Cycling: http://www.honors.montana.edu/~weif/...nk/cycle.phtml

Driftwood will slowly lower the pH, while the lava rock will raise the pH.

Now for the problems that may arise with having these fish together: Opaline Gouramis, Pearl Gouramis, Pleco and/or catfishes, a Red-tailed Shark or two, and snails
The gouramis may have some aggression towards each other but the tank is big enough for them so that's good. Plecos and catfish should be fine with almost anything as long as you don't get more than 1 common pleco (I'd suggest one or a few of the smaller plecos though) or a catfish that'll get too big for the tank. Redtail sharks can get aggressive especially when larger so you will need to watch it. Do not get more than 1 redtail shark! The snails might get eaten if they're too small.
In that tank I think you actually could get a clown loach if you want. Although, it would almost definitely eat the snails.

Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
46 gallon, 6 gallon, gourami, tan, tankmate, tankmates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com