47 Gallon Column... Help with questions please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freude88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, So I brought a 47 gallon tall column aquarium and yes I am familiar with the school of thought that long is better than tall :) I have a 72 gallon bow front and love it, but I have always liked how tall tanks look so I am going for it. I am planning on keeping small fish so length shouldn't be a huge problem. Anyways I have several questions and would be grateful for any advice.

Lighting - I bought a 20 inch Finnex 24/7 planted light. Will this be enough light to reach the bottom or do I need to buy another one? If something else would be better I am willing to look at those options too but I do like LED. Also, is there any type of underwater lighting that I could put at the bottom if light from above is not going to be enough???

Filter - What type of filter would you recommend? I have used both HOB's and External filters. I tend to like HOB's a little better however.

Surface Agitation - Someone at a LFS told me to put a power head at the bottom for water movement since it's taller. Do you agree? I was planning on putting an airstone line against the back to help with this as well.

It will be a low tech tank with moderately hard water. Any plant suggestions? I have plants in my current tank but am always looking for something new.

Thanks in advance!!

Joy

Its hard to say if the 24/7 will be enough light without knowing the dimensions of the tank and what you are doing.

I have a 65 gal (2 foot tall) and started with a finnex planted + 24/7 light. I love the fully automated feature. Plenty of light to see the fish, and it really brought out their color.

Problem is that my tank is a planted, and a coupe months in I've realized that it want intense enough to grow shorter plants. Any plant I put in that was already 8-10 in tall did fine. Anything shorter struggled. I just added a second light, Ray 2 ds, 2 days ago hoping to get better growth.

How tall is your tank?
Will it be planted?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention the powerhead. I find it helpful to run one lower in the tank line suggested. I have a canister filter and have the out flow direted near the surface to help with agitating the water surface for gas exchange. It doesn't allow for much current lower down. I put a powerhead right down on the gravel and directed the flow along the back glass to keep water moving on the lower level.

The tank is 20x18x29. I appreciate your advice... It sounds like I will need a second light. Any suggestions?

I hace a 55g column style tank and I ran 2 leds on it and got a ton of algae. I am now winning the battle. Use the light that you have and see how the plants do, then make adjustments. Also I pulled my bubble wand out, I hated it. I then placed a powerhead on the lower right hand corner of my tank where I had a huge dead spot (I have an hob). You can wait to see where your dead spot(s) are and then place it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with Stacy, start with what you have and add to it, mostly I would just say be aware that the hight can create challenges such as needing more light or dead spots.

Back
Top Bottom