Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

5 1/2 gallon contest! WIN 50 kudos! No purchase necessary

I had an extra 5 1/2 gal tank laying around and decided to take it to work and set it up. It has a heater and a large corner filter hooked to an air pump, coarse black sand, 1 fake amazon sword, 1 cool lava rock. Givin the limited space I'm not sure which way I want to go. 50 kudos to the person who comes closest to what I do. The tank is cycling now so plenty of time. I think I will be adding java fern as the only plants. But am open to other small hearty plants.

Old 10-13-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
Two african dwarf frogs and 2 small variety gouramis ? :P

Old 10-13-2003, 01:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thought Terry would be the first on this.
I've got 1 small frog at home I raised from alittle tad. the mother died and I sold the male to the store. I don't believe any variety around here is a "dwarf" even though they say that sometimes. He could possible make it here and I could like the labyrinth fish idea never had one.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bought mine from petsmart (dun dun DUUUN)..

They're really small, 2 per gallon without a filter if you clean the water regularily. They're not the same as african claw frogs. These guys stay under an inch in size. I keep six in my 29 gallon, they help clean the gravel up. Fun to try to find wherever they've wedged themselves to hide. every now and then you'll see one shoot to the surface. They're pretty cool.

In petsmart they seem to usually be kept in the Neon tetra tanks. I saw them with neon tetras at a petland store once too.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

1 Male Betta (most colorful you can find!)
1-2 Otos
2-3 Cherry Shrimp
Old 10-13-2003, 01:40 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Well...I have a betta in a 5 1/2 gallon tank, and it's just the right size for him. Bettas do well in warmer water, about 80 to 82 degrees, and you have a heater. Java ferns are a hardy plant that will do well in that tank, and bettas like them. You could use the air pump with a sponge filter. Bettas don't like current, so you could use the sponge filter as a biological filter, and you don't really need a large corner filter with a betta.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Long live the frog!

http://slinky.no-ip.org/images/fish/frog.jpg
Old 10-13-2003, 01:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd say with the black sand that I would get a fish that is very brightly colored sush as a neon orange mickey mouse platy, or even a few colorful swordtails to put in there. I didn't hear anyhting about a background but I would suggest a black background. As far as bottom dwellers, I would go with 1-2 ottos.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:38 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I would personally go with a betta or a dwarf flame gourami and possibly 3 pygmy cory cats for the bottom. Then some shrimp for algae cleanup once that reared its ugly head. I have had similar setups and they were very nice. The lovely fins of the betta or the vivid color of the gourami would be very nice against the black substrate.

I do like a betta with a frog, though, and then there is the intriguing idea of a crab instead of a frog.... (William should pipe up here )
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 02:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

No crabs :P Before William's incident I was seriously comptemplating them. :P Then I realized I like my frogs and my smaller fish.

Tags
2 gallon, contest

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com