5.5 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
Decided to try out a small planted tank and wanted to share the progress after the hard scape and planting

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421693238.957851.jpg
Hardscape

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421693262.289501.jpg
After plants

Definately thinking I'm gonna need to get some new lighting as the one that came with the kit seems rather week

But I have 3 pieces of lava rock my gf's mom brought back from Hawaii

Black Eco complete sand substrate and plants are

Pogostemon helferi

Cryptocoryne undulata red

Telanthera cardinalis

Planning on CPD or a Betta and some shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you, I have seen videos of people heavily planting huge aquariums and idk how they do it. Just that small one took a lot out of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fab; great work! Can't wait to see how it looks once those plants fill out a little! :)

After a couple days with excell and leaf zone and flourish complete ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421865733.961352.jpg

All the crypts came back from the melt also which is spectacular

Be careful with the betta and that rock. He could tare his fins. Looks nice though. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was worried about that so I'm leaning more towards celestial pearl danios

They are awesome. I think you would be very happy with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have to find somewhere to order them online, none of the stores down here sell them

I vote cpds too! I have some with otos and amano shrimp in a 5.5.. chill little tank!
PS. Root tabs inbound

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I vote cpds too! I have some with otos and amano shrimp in a 5.5.. chill little tank!
PS. Root tabs inbound

How many do you have in there? And do you think the way it's scaped out cuts back on stock?

And thanks brook I'll keep an eye out for them

I started with 7, lost a few to some fungus amongst us... have 4 happy healthy now, 2 m 2f.. 2 otos and 4 shrimp. I do 2 30% wc's a week and big one every 10 or so days. I'd start with 5 cpds and get the tank very stable before trying any other little critters.

That was the plan, I know you gotta be super careful with these small tanks, they look extremely bangin though when they are goin

That was the plan, I know you gotta be super careful with these small tanks, they look extremely bangin though when they are goin

Yah, i left out a few details.. i inject co2, i use water from a water barrel to ensure minimal ph swings. Depending on your tap, ph can fluctuate after 24 hrs of gassing off. Have you checked your tank ph vs. Out of tap ph? I have far more issues in my 5.5 than any other tank.

The tank is only been up for two days but every day it's been sitting right at 7.2 where my tap is, I was thinking about keeping a couple gallon jugs full of water to sit for each waterchange

PS. Root tabs inbound

Tabs got here today and I have them in the tanks, thanks so much for sending them

Do I still need to dose flourish complete and leaf zone with them 3 times a week?

I cannot believe you fit all of that awesome into that tank. You should see our 5.5 gallon. It's a sad little fella. lol! And awesome plants!!! I'm following!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tabs got here today and I have them in the tanks, thanks so much for sending them

Do I still need to dose flourish complete and leaf zone with them 3 times a week?

The root tabs are for the heavy root feeders.
The other Ferts are for the water column feeding plants.

Depending on lighting, I add once a week. Higher light may need more often.

Excel or Glut can be daily unless you have Vals. Then 1/2 dose.

10g liquid ferts weekly. Excel ? When I remember.
Root tabs.
When tank started about 3 months in ?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422320354.461256.jpg

It's always a work in progress
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422320412.449246.jpg

Need to finish rescape, this is my current mess. New Crypts melted. New stems transitioning. Need to move crazy Vals ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422320501.823164.jpg

Back
Top Bottom