5.5 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I keep on getting tanks from people the dimensions of this one are 16x8x10. I probably will get live plants need suggestions on plants. I have some ideas for fish to I'm thinking neon tetras, dwarf rasbora, celestial pearl danio, dwarf frog, ghost shrimp and mystery snails any thoughts on these fish are appreciated and good combos of any of these fish will help thanks.

i don't think neon tetra will work in a 5 gal, but the other fish seem fine, have you looked into other shrimp other then ghosts? red cherry shrimp will reproduce in the tank. Also, what kind of lights do you have over the tank? make sure to post lots of pics ;)

Well I was hoping for neons but oh well I have looked at other shrimp but I personally like the ghost. I'm not sure on lighting but I know wattage is 2 watts per gallon. I can't post pics right now cameras broke can next month though I'm getting paid then.

Anubias, java fern and various crypt species are all good low light plants. There is also anacharis which would probably be a pain in a 5.5 gal because it would grow way to tall, google a list of low light plants and see what you get

Well I keep on getting tanks from people the dimensions of this one are 16x8x10. I probably will get live plants need suggestions on plants. I have some ideas for fish to I'm thinking neon tetras, dwarf rasbora, celestial pearl danio, dwarf frog, ghost shrimp and mystery snails any thoughts on these fish are appreciated and good combos of any of these fish will help thanks.
Neon tetras need a longer tank. CPD's may be OK, but I think a longer tank would be better for them also. I would skip the frogs since nano fish and shrimp would likely become a meal for them. I would skip the mystery snail because they get as big as a golf ball and create lots of poop. I think they work best in larger tanks, but if you do decide to keep one in here make sure you have great filtration and keep up on your gravel vacs. Microrasbora would be a great choice. You could do a school of 8 chili rasbora. Two scarlet badis would make nice centerpiece fish. You could have some shrimp in there as well, but I wouldn't go with ghost shrimp since some report ghosties eating small fish. RCS or any other dwarf shrimp should work though.

Okay sivia do you have any Idea where I can find dwarf rasbora or will I probably have to order them.

I actually decided on a stocking of 1 male betta, 2 African dwarf frogs and 10 ghost shrimp does this sound okay.

Back
Top Bottom