5.5 gallon stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

satan toes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys =) well im new here so sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere..anyways I have a 5.5 gallon tank and im really confused on why people say they are so small!? Cause I honestly think mine is a decent size and I have heard people say you can only have a beta but I currently have a neon red danio and a glass cat and im planning to get one more of each cause I know they like gropus what do you guys think? They both look like they have plenty of room and they get along fine I just think people saying such a small fish like a Danio needing a 30 gal tank is ridiculous

Lol, it's not what roomy looks like to you, it's what the adult size, active level of them, the stable water quality needed, the oxygen level in the tank, the avabile space for BB to colonize. There's a lot that goes into it. You could live in a 5x5 for the rest of your life, but would you be happy? Would you thrive? Major questions right there lol

If you have already decided that you think your tank is big enough why are you asking here?
IMO its not big enough for anything but a betta or a dwarf frog or some shrimp.

1 gallon per inch of fish at its adult size so yes 5.5 gallons is rlly small

Lol alright just making sure :)

Lol I have a 30 with 3 neon tetras 3 platys 3 bettas 2 sword tails i plan on outing 3 more tetras And a male swordtail and the tank is done oh and my adf is in there for now

Lol I have a 30 with 3 neon tetras 3 platys 3 bettas 2 sword tails i plan on outing 3 more tetras And a male swordtail and the tank is done oh and my adf is in there for now

Alright, sounds good. Just trying to help prevent future mistakes

Hey guys =) well im new here so sorry if I should have posted this elsewhere..anyways I have a 5.5 gallon tank and im really confused on why people say they are so small!? Cause I honestly think mine is a decent size and I have heard people say you can only have a beta but I currently have a neon red danio and a glass cat and im planning to get one more of each cause I know they like gropus what do you guys think? They both look like they have plenty of room and they get along fine I just think people saying such a small fish like a Danio needing a 30 gal tank is ridiculous

By neon red danio is it a glofish danio? Danios and glass cats are also schooling fish that prefer groups of 6+, so that's another reason they deserve larger tanks. But yeah, danios especially are extremely active and need lots of horizontal swimming space which is why people typically recommend at least a 20 gal long. There are plenty of other nano fish that could work in a 5.5 gallon though.

Hey I'm also a little new in the fish hobby. In my opinion the 5.5 gallon is way too small (for the fish your housing.) Like the people who have already replied are trying to say, their are many variables you should look at when keeping fish.
I believe I have the same aquarium model that your using (from your account pictures) and I only keep 2 ghost shrimp and 2 guppy fry (until they get bigger) in it. I'm not telling you should get a bigger tank I'm just giving my opinion on it because it seems from your post your looking around for others reasoning. Hope it helps :)

Back
Top Bottom