5 gal project.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattrox

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a 5 gal (Actual capacity just under 5 gal) tank a while back as a breeding tank for Corys. They hated it, way too small, I should have known better.

I was in the lfs the other day and saw Dwarf loaches that I have not seen available here before. (The same ones Blucat talks about in this thread. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=68569&highlight=
) These fish peaked my interest and I began thinking...... Anyway, I have decided to make a "small" fish theme tank.

I also see Chocolate Gouramis and Sparkling Gouramis available from time to time. Pygmy Corys and an Oto may fit the theme.

The actual setting up of the tank will be some weeks off. What other fish do people think will work in a tank like this? Obviosly not all the above fish would be in the tank at once but I am open to hear ideas.

I've always wanted to try an Endler's Livebearer tank.

My loaches do not seem to require much swimming space, they just require plenty of obstacles (rocks, dirftwood, plants) and hidey holes to play chasey in. You might be able to get away with 3 of these dwarf loaches provided you have good filtratioin and regular water changes. Mine are about 1 and a half inch right now.

You could do Endler's in a 5gal and use excess fry for feeders. They are colorful, active and are all over the tank, and work well in small quarters (I would not put them in anything smaller than a 5, though).

These are the fish I recommended to unknown_7 for a 4gal:
Rasbora maculata, Dario dario (scarlet badis), Rasbora dorsiocellata (emerald eye rasboras) or killies. Licorice gouramis stay very small.

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to have to think this over. I am going to seriously look at my options for filtration.

I am going to have to keep my eye out for the fish mentioned. I might have to do a visit to all the lfses and not-so-L-fses as I don't know many that stock those fish in this area.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

i have a 6g planted with 5 cherry barbs, a bunch of kuhli loaches, and thousands of ruby red ramshorns. i like the red/green theme :) the cherry barbs are doing really well as well as the kuhlis. i'm sure i'm overstocked though--although everyone seems great--the plants help...

How about Australian shrimp or a nano biotope?

(I do not know the collection laws for Aus and apologize if this is inappropriate.)

I was thinking along the lines of a nano 'biotope'. If I did it right I could probably have a planted tank, lightly stocked. 2 Chocolate gouramis, a few pygmy corys and some java fern and small anubias and crypts and run it without filtration? The choice of fish and plants isn't really a biotope, more of a theme. I suppose I could go to medium light and use the seachem carbon fert. to improve growth... hmmmm

You could definitely run this as a "natural" aquarium without filtration, just decent lighting and plants. Gouramis are a perfect choice for this type of setup since they can tolerate lower oxygen levels until the plants get cranking.

I don't think the chocolates are the hardiest of them all, though, so you might consider getting this little tank going with the plants first, maybe a snail or two, and once the plants are obviously healthy and growing well you know it is safe to add fish. Keep us posted!

That sounds like a plan TG. I was inspired by someone :wink: to do something like this. I like bouncing ideas around. I helps me decide what I want and what is feasable.

Back
Top Bottom