Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
5 gallon Betta Tank

Java ferns, Anuibus nana on the way, a few misc live plants and tacky fake log to hide in.

Can or should i add a red cherry shrimp? i need some sort of cuc but its a small betta tank after all.

any suggestions besides get a bigger tank?

buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good looking red betta. I wouldn't add the red cherry shrimp. I raise RCS for my lfs and I have many bettas. The betta will either eat it, or the RCS will hide constantly. I've tried them together and I've even tried them with a smaller female betta. The shrimp were lunch. Betta have rather large mouths and shrimp are just super-yummy treats for just about any fish.

I would add some top cover. Bettas come from rice paddies and are most comfortable in densely planted, shallow waters with lots of top cover. If he's really comfortable you may even see a bubble nest. I have one betta that blows bubble nests, but he stops when I trim his plants, then starts again when his plants grow back. They don't care if the plants are real or not, top cover is just grand to them.

I wouldn't add anymore fish in a 5 gallon, but it didn't sound like you were going to. Cute little tank.

7.5 Gallon Cube Planted Betta Sorority - 20 Long Planted Community - 10 Gallon RCS Farm - 10 Gallon Crayfish Playpen - 29 Gallon Community - 55 Gallon Planted Community - *Coming Soon* 80 Gallon Community
Nippy Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thank you so much for replying! I was planning to purchase a couple shrimp, glad i am a member here. Your right about not adding any fish, This is Jake's home.

Do you happen to have any suggestions for a top cover? I will still need some light to reach the bottom for the ferns.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 3 gallon rimless nano and a 7.5 gallon rimless nano for bettas, both without covers, and they seem fine. Perhaps you don't need one?
7.5 Gallon Cube Planted Betta Sorority - 20 Long Planted Community - 10 Gallon RCS Farm - 10 Gallon Crayfish Playpen - 29 Gallon Community - 55 Gallon Planted Community - *Coming Soon* 80 Gallon Community
Nippy Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cool, I am hoping to plant the aquarium to Jake's liking. I am going to go without a plant cover for now. so i can see if i can grow the standard low light plants.

Tags
5 gallon, betta, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com