5 gallon planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChaosTropicals

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys i have been thinking about this video i saw on youtube.
This girl had a planted tank with a beta and guppies and the tank was so planted the guppies could run and hide constantly. Well you think i could mimic this with a 5 gallon tank for my girlfriend? Post ideas and feedback please!

This is certainly possible but you would need good lighting or at least access to a store that sells hardy Nano plant species

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey guys i have been thinking about this video i saw on youtube.

This girl had a planted tank with a beta and guppies and the tank was so planted the guppies could run and hide constantly. Well you think i could mimic this with a 5 gallon tank for my girlfriend? Post ideas and feedback please!

Why stress out the Guppies having to hide all the time ? Guppies are usually my last choice with Bettas.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why stress out the Guppies having to hide all the time ? Guppies are usually my last choice with Bettas.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Not a good choice even if there are lots of hiding spots.

Bettas usually attack any fish that is brightly colored or has long flowing fins. 5 gallons is adequate for 1 betta but not for guppies. They breed prolifically.

That will work for sure! But agreed with coursair, you don't want to really stress the Guppy's out ALL the time. Itll Depend on the Betta. mine gets bullied by my corries constantly so he would be fine but I've also had ones that attack everything in a tank.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That will work for sure! But agreed with coursair, you don't want to really stress the Guppy's out ALL the time. Itll Depend on the Betta. mine gets bullied by my corries constantly so he would be fine but I've also had ones that attack everything in a tank.

Yes, it will work for sure if you want chewed up dead guppies!

Yes, it will work for sure if you want chewed up dead guppies!

If they have places to hide it won't be a problem. A lot of bettas don't attack anything but other bettas anyways, they may still pick on the little guys though.

If they have places to hide it won't be a problem. A lot of bettas don't attack anything but other bettas anyways, they may still pick on the little guys though.

You'd have to get the right guppies with the right betta. You would almost have to get the betta from a breeder so you know his temperament and even that that can switch overnight.

Following that, you would have to contend with the fact that the tank is a bit too small for guppies. in a larger tank this would work better, but I disagree with a 5 gallon.

Lastly, even in a larger tank you'd be surprised how little of a difference a lot of hiding spots would make. I've had to rehome a number of mildly aggressive fish in a 55g tank that was filled to the brim with plants.. to the point that I couldn't actually fit more plants in my tank, and they still tore up my fish.

I have upgraded this idea to my 75 gallon tank and its gonna be extremely heavily planted and rock caves to ensure good hiding spots, Im gonna have 1 Male Beta, 3 Male Guppies 6 Females and 4 different types of catfish including my 6 inch channel catfish and 1 pleco and a few other fish like maybe some tetras or maybe even other fish. If you have any ideas let me know!

I have upgraded this idea to my 75 gallon tank and its gonna be extremely heavily planted and rock caves to ensure good hiding spots, Im gonna have 1 Male Beta, 3 Male Guppies 6 Females and 4 different types of catfish including my 6 inch channel catfish and 1 pleco and a few other fish like maybe some tetras or maybe even other fish. If you have any ideas let me know!
The catfish will eventually eat everything in there minus the pleco if it's big enough.

Back
Top Bottom