5 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting a new 5 gallon soon it will be planted with java ferns and I was wondering if you guys can give me a list of fish suitable for the tank I dont want to make it a shrimp tank. I am sort of thinking of making it a betta and ADF tank but Im not sure.

You can go with some Tetras and the Betta for an easy setup. Maybe add in some pygmy corys.

Scarlett Badis are neat too.

Perhaps a species only tank of shell dweller cichlids, Multis. I think 2 max though for a spawning pair in a 5g.

Or if you want something more challenging, a dwarf puffer. You can throw in a bumblebee goby and Otto as tankmates. But if you go the route, you'll need to add a good amount of decor & plants. Be prepared to feed them with not just flake food. And invest in a decent filter.

josh7 said:
What type of tetra did you have in mind with a betta

Anything that stays relatively small because you'll want to get at least five of a particular species. I world probably get some Embers. Those can be tough to find IME. Von Rio Flame tetra look somewhat similar and get only slightly bigger. Or some Neons or Cardinals. However, if you go with the last two suggested, make sure your water parameters are good and that you take extra care in acclimating them both temperature and drip methods because they are super sensitive of all the Tetras I know of. With Neons and Cardinals I usually buy a couple extra because you can expect to lose a few. But the ones that remain have lived long IME with proper aquarium maintenance.

Start off with the Betta once you're tank is cycled and matured a bit, then add the tetras last. Do a little more frequent partial water changes until your filter has had some time to catch up to the extra bio-load added. After that, should be smooth sailing.

I think i will go with the von rio flame tetras and a betta because I know for sure that my lfs has those.

josh7 said:
I think i will go with the von rio flame tetras and a betta because I know for sure that my lfs has those.

Only do the betta in a 5g. Usually bettas prefer to be alone and really should have fish tankmates in a 5g unless you want some possibly dead fish. If you do a betta and want tankmates look at some shrimp and snails! There're a lot of fun and are really cool to watch!

I had a Betta once with some Ghost Shrimp and the Betta constantly picked at the Shrimp till they were dead.

Anyway, check out my Fluval Edge which is a 6 gallon. It runs an AC20 filter which is good enough filtration rated for 20 gallons. You see, if you can get a good filter, and with proper maintenance, you can overstock a bit.

I have a Dwarf Gourami with some Tetras and Guppies. All have been doing well for almost a year now.

If the betta is mean to shrimp he will be mean to ADFs as well, and could possibly kill both of them. ADFs are blind and usually helpless, but they can snag a bettas tail.

There are a lot of nano fish.
Scarlet badis
Chili rasboras
Galaxy rasboras
Least killifish
Pygmy sunfish

Back
Top Bottom