5 gallon stocking..HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I purchased a 5 gallon tank and am still figuring out what to put in it.

I was thinking a betta and an ADF. Is this a good idea?

Also, I would really like to have a betta in it. Are there any other fish that could go in there with it?

You can give me ANY suggestions with or without the betta. Thanks so much for your help!

fishyfanatic500

Are you planning to use a heater and filter? The frog will be fine with the betta. Maybe some shrimp and a nice mystery snail.
Other fish depends on if you use heat and filtration (I would suggest that you do).
Then really you should only put in one or two depending how many frogs, shrimps and snails you use - if any. I would still stick to the 1 inch per gallon rule using adult size, not current size.
My 5 gallon has an ivory mystery snail, 2 dwarf frogs, 2 ghost shrimp and 2 baby goldfish (who will have to go in the bigger tank soon) I have 2 filters running on it since in my opinion, once I added the shrimp I over populated)

yes I am using a filter and a heater.

A make betta
2 ADF's

would this be ok? Or should I just get ONE ADF? Thanks so much for the help!!!

i think you'd be fine with 2 ADF's and a male betta. What kind of filter are you gonna have? Betta's don't like to much current.

it is a whisper tetra filter. Haven't turned it on yet so don't know how much current there is.

I have no clue how hard my filter circulates water. It is a whisper filter though. It looks somewhat like this!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...quarium+filter&type=jpeg&no=21&tt=96&ei=UTF-8

Hope this link works...actually this is a pic of the EXACT filter that I have. It came with the aquarium.

I am going to have one small bubble stone in the aquarium for oxygen, but it will not be in the main part of the tank where the fish will swim.

Also I have no idea how this filter works because I have never had one like it. It doesn't have a tube :S

Hi Fishy, that link you provided has a great deal of information about how the filter works. It looks like water is sucked in at the bottom of the filter, then passes over the filter material (bio-bag), then spills back into the tank from the top-front of the filter.

The webpage also indicates that there is a flow control knob at the bottom-back of the filter, so hopefully you can prevent having too much current for the betta/ADF's.

Sounds like a great plan...good luck!

I read ths site after I wrote that. Thanks everyone for your help!!!!! I really appreciate it and so will my fish..and frogs :D :lol: :p ;)

It is more like a slide adjustment. Put it on 2 clicks and you will be fine. They are the same pumps on those little water fall decorations. I had one on a 2.5 that I had . Good luck.

Be careful with the betta. Each has its own personailtys, mine would slaughter a frog. He hunts snails, and has killed a 2" long ($13) marble shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom