5 Gallon Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I grabbed a 5g tank from a friend who was going to throw it out. I hate seeing good stuff go to waste. Is there anything that I can safely stock in this? I'd like to have at the very least 2 fish. Any ideas?

a betta or some shrimp imo... ive heard of people putting platies in that small of tank as well

I keep my male sailfin Molly (when not breeding), one guppy that survived my forced cycling period, 2 ghost shrimp and too many snails in a 5 gallon

a betta or some shrimp imo... ive heard of people putting platies in that small of tank as well

I was thinking about Platies or even a school of Neon Tetras. Would they be ok choices?

For a school of tetras you are looking at 5 fish, too much for a 5g, imo. Id stock a betta and some shrimp and snails.

Search the site for nano fish. Neons won't works but 4-5 embers might.

Thanks, I'll research nano fish right now. Next I have to find a filter small enough for this thing :)

As for the neon tetra's, the site I was looking at them on sais they only grow to about .85 of an inch. A school of 5 would be too much for that tank?

I don't think neons are a good long term choice for a 5, for activity levels if nothing else.

Honestly, a 5 gallon is a good tank just to keep around in case you need a hospital tank or something along those lines.

I don't think neons are a good long term choice for a 5, for activity levels if nothing else.

Honestly, a 5 gallon is a good tank just to keep around in case you need a hospital tank or something along those lines.

I was thinking of putting it on my desk at work :) I thought black sand and black background with a school of neons would look kinda cool :)

Maybe ember tetras and red cherry shrimp on a black background and black sand?

Looking at the Embers now. Trying to find a place locally to buy them. Unsure about ordering live fish from the internet.

Shipping can be expensive, but the quality is usually fine. Remember that all the fish in fish stores were shipped there, many with a lot less love and care than they deserved.

Shipping can be expensive, but the quality is usually fine. Remember that all the fish in fish stores were shipped there, many with a lot less love and care than they deserved.

Never thought of it like that. I'll have to look around for some reputable sites. Maybe I can get a group buy with some of my friends to save on shipping.

Back
Top Bottom