5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering what I should put in my 5 gallon tank.

I would like many diverse, but correct opinions on # of fish, type of fish, type of substrate for the fish, and also types of plants recommended.

[center:dd514520fc] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Lance M.! :n00b: [/center:dd514520fc]
Most people on this board will tell you that 5 gals is okay for a betta and that's about it. From my fish keeping experience, bigger is BETTER :wink:
I have a 5 gal and a 2.5 gal as QT tanks. My next smallest tanks are 10gals, but even then you can't put much in there. In one 10 gal tank, I have 4 shell dwelling cichlids and a Rubber Lipped pleco; and in the other, I will soon have 4 Badis badis, a rubber lipped pleco and 5 pygmy cory cats (some would say that is over stocked).
What kind of tank were you hoping for? What kind of fish do you REALLY want to keep? Community fish, semi-aggressive, aggressive, a species tank?

I don't know why so many people think you can't put fish in a 5 gallon tank.

I currently have two 8-inch fantail goldfish in the 5 gallon!! :p And there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. They have enough room to move around and they are perfectly healthy. I've had them in there for almost a full year, since they were about 1 and a half inches, and they do not just languish around. They are fine and perfectly happy. My neighbor is getting a garden pond so I am donating the goldfish to him within a week or two.

I also have a 10 gallon tank with:
3 WhiteCloud Mountain Minnows- 1 and half inches
3 Glow-light Tetras- 1 and half inches
2 Rummy-nose Tetras- 2 inches
3 One-lined Pencil Fish- 2 inches
1 Spotted Dojo Loach- 8 inch
1 Clown Pleco- 2 inch
1 Talking Catfish (Acanthodoras spinosissimus)- 3 inch
1 African Dwarf Frog- 2 and half inch
8 Ghost Shrimp
Up and running for over 2 months NO PROBLEMS

I don't care what anyone says about this. THIS TANK IS NOT CROWDED!!! :evil:

My neighbor is getting a garden pond so I am donating the goldfish to him within a week or two.
Thank goodness since goldfish need a minimum of 10 gals each.

I see from your sig that you are of the school that believes if the fish look fine, they are fine. Maybe for now, but it has only been two months. Most of your fish are not fully grown and not sexually mature yet.
What type of filter are you using? How often are you changing the water? Do you have your own test kits to ensure the water parameters are fine? (I'm not picking on you, we ask this of everyone.)

I currently have two 8-inch fantail goldfish in the 5 gallon!! And there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

2 8-inch fish in a tank that is only 8 3/4" wide? Well, like I said, it was JMHO, which is what you asked for :wink:.

For my ten gallon i'm using a 20 gallon whisper power filter.
For my 5 gallon I have a bio-whell filter
I change 1/3 of the water every month.
I test the water pH, hardness, nitrates/nitrites every week.

FYI, most people will tell you to change your water every week. There are people on this board with 200+ gallon tanks and they will do a 33-50% chance every single week. With your 5 and 10 gallons, you should have no problem.

What are the readings on those tests? And do you use an actual liquid test kit, or is it just those strip tests that you dip in the water?

Again we aren't picking on you, we ask everyone this stuff.

-brent

Why ask for correct opinions when people give them to you and then you doubt them?

Sure you can put A fish in a 5gal tank.
Great home for "1" betta.

23 fish in a ten gal and it isn't over stocked?
Yeah right.

Water change every month?
With all those fish in a 10gal a gravel vac and water change should be done EVERY WEEK!!

People come here for help and ask for our OPINIONS and when they dont hear exactly what they want to hear they get ugly.

Im NOT trying to be rude but dont ask if you are not willing to take the criticism/help.
We are all here to try and help one another with the best possible info.

Back
Top Bottom