5 gallon Tank Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not much done today, but I decided to do an update anyway. All I found out of what I wanted was the AquaClear 20, and silicone tubing for the DIY CO2 system. My LFS was out of 5 gallon aquariums because they had had an anniversary sale a few days before, so I will go back when they are in stock.

I don't think anyone cares, but if you want pics of the AC 20 set up in my ten gallon (Which you really don't I don't think) let me know.

phoenixkiller said:
Not much done today, but I decided to do an update anyway. All I found out of what I wanted was the AquaClear 20, and silicone tubing for the DIY CO2 system. My LFS was out of 5 gallon aquariums because they had had an anniversary sale a few days before, so I will go back when they are in stock.

I don't think anyone cares, but if you want pics of the AC 20 set up in my ten gallon (Which you really don't I don't think) let me know.

I don't think anyone would hate to see pics lol :)

maxwellag said:
Here's a list of plants that are smaller sized that may work (sorted by lighting requirements):

Low
Anubias barteri
Bolbitis heudelotii
Ceratophyllum demersum
Cladophora aegagropila
Cryptocoryne beckettii
Marsilea hirsuta
Microsorum pteropus
Monosolenium tenerum
Vesicularia Xmas
Vesicularia dubyana

Medium
Bacopa australis
Bacopa monnieri
Cryptocoryne parva
Diplidis diandra
Echinodorus angustifolius
Echinodorus parviflorus
Echinodorus tenellus
Lilaeopsis mauritiana
Littorella uniflora
Pogostemon helferi (downoi)
Riccia fluitans
Utricularia graminifolia
Vallisneria nana

High
Echinodorus quadricostatus
Eleocharis acicularis
Eleocharis parvula
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus callitrichoides (dwarf baby tears)
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides
Hygrophila corymbosa
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis (micro sword)
Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae
Lobelia cardinalis
Ludwigia arcuata
Micranthemum umbrosum
Mayaca sellowiana
Ranunculus limosella
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala wallichii

Dont tell me you memorized all of those.. Thats insane if you did. Lol. Nice list i agree :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Dont tell me you memorized all of those.. Thats insane if you did. Lol. Nice list i agree :)

No, that I have been working on a list for a few days. I have been going through planted nano threads on different forums and used some of the species they used in the list.

I have Bolbitis. Mine is very hardy and I donated some to my club to sell at our local fish club auction, any money went to my plant club

Most Ludwigias are super easy. Mine grows FAST.

I love Crypts, so I'm happy to see you have one listed. They will grow in high light and will show more colors in many cases.

Look at Anubias Nana Petite. Nice for small tanks. Or A minima I think is the name.

TPT should have all these plants if you can't find them here.

I apologize for not posting. I was quite busy and didn't have time to take the pictures. I went on vacation to Lindsborg, Kansas and could not update progress. I am planning to go to PetCo in the next 1-2 days to get the tank and the substrate. Thanks for your patience!

phoenixkiller said:
I apologize for not posting. I was quite busy and didn't have time to take the pictures. I went on vacation to Lindsborg, Kansas and could not update progress. I am planning to go to PetCo in the next 1-2 days to get the tank and the substrate. Thanks for your patience!

How's the light? :)

I'd add corkscrew vallisneria to that list. It likes medium light, not as tall as the regular val because the leaves spiral, but still tall enough to cover the back wall, making a nice background. Mine was quite cheap and four weeks after purchase has sent out runners for new vals, three plants for the price of one:D

Ok, there has been an... err... favorable change of events. I could not find a five gallon tank at Petco today, but my dad suggested I get the cheap ten gallon there. So I got a ten gallon. I am going to find out how to get medium - high lighting for it now. I don't think that lamp Max sent me is gonna cut it. Any thoughts?

Ok, there has been an... err... favorable change of events. I could not find a five gallon tank at Petco today, but my dad suggested I get the cheap ten gallon there. So I got a ten gallon. I am going to find out how to get medium - high lighting for it now. I don't think that lamp Max sent me is gonna cut it. Any thoughts?
I think 2 lamps would work! lol. Brooders would work too.

Yeah! I just got a plant shipment from jetajockey for a good price (Thanks again!!). It includes Wisteria, A colorful Ludwigia thing, green Cabomba, Ambulia and a nice piece of DW. So excited, but I can't post pics now. I'm gonna wait until everything is settled. Looks like a jungle right now. I'll explain my plans for what's going where though.
Back: Wisteria, a Ludwigia thing, green Cabomba, Ambulia.
Middle: DW piece with Anubias Barteri 'Gold' growing on it.
Front: Hydrocotyle Tripartitia carpet.

phoenixkiller said:
Yeah! I just got a plant shipment from jetajockey for a good price (Thanks again!!). It includes Wisteria, A colorful Ludwigia thing, green Cabomba, Ambulia and a nice piece of DW. So excited, but I can't post pics now. I'm gonna wait until everything is settled. Looks like a jungle right now. I'll explain my plans for what's going where though.
Back: Wisteria, a Ludwigia thing, green Cabomba, Ambulia.
Middle: DW piece with Anubias Barteri 'Gold' growing on it.
Front: Hydrocotyle Tripartitia carpet.

Sounds good. When are you getting the tripartita? I'm not sure it will grow under that lamp I sent you in a 10g

Sounds good. When are you getting the tripartita? I'm not sure it will grow under that lamp I sent you in a 10g
I know. I'm gonna get an 8.5" brooder with a 23w 6,500k bulb. But I'm getting the Tripartitia in 2 weeks at least, or until I have the supplies to attempt to care for it.

Father's Day was hectic. After church I had a massive party at my house, so I didn't get the pics. I took them, but I'm not really too excited to try to upload them at one in the morning.

What Everyone's been waiting for... sort of...

Alright, I finally got them uploaded. What do ya'll think?

P.S. Max, do you think that a 8.5" brooder lamp with a 26w 6,500k CFL (Twisty bulb) bulb as well as the lamp you sent me would support the HT well enough?

P.P.S. I'll add more pics or rearrange the set up by request. I'm not that good at aqua scaping.

Attachments

• MyNewTank1.jpg
    MyNewTank1.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 64
  • MyNewTank2.jpg
    MyNewTank2.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 60
  • MyNewTank3.jpg
    MyNewTank3.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 53
  • MyNewTank4.jpg
    MyNewTank4.jpg