50 Gallon Stocking (Juwel Trigon 190)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 for bacteria bloom (good thing)

So how long does it take to go away? Woke up this morning and it seems to be a little worse. It is a white fog/haze in the tank. It's really annoying me! Should I leave the lights on for the day for the plants or leave it off?

How long does this last? Yesterday I put a whole lot of gravel and filter sponges and other sponges I left under the gravel in the established tank (to soak up the BB). Hopefully it speeds up my cycle :)

Thanks!:)

So I cam home today and the tank is a *little* less cloudy than last night. So far it's been about 30 hours of cloudiness...

This is really bugging me as the tank is in my living room and that fog is really annoying! I had the lights off all day today as I thought maybe it would help (it didn't:() I have them on now and will leave them on for 3 hours just for the plants!

I also tore apart the biorb and used everything I possible could to seed the cycle... The poor fish are now with only a few pieces of gravel and one old piece of filter media. Would it be safe to transfer them from the die-orb to the Juwel, since most of the BB from there are in it anyways!

This is really bugging me...

So I cam home today and the tank is a *little* less cloudy than last night. So far it's been about 30 hours of cloudiness...

This is really bugging me as the tank is in my living room and that fog is really annoying! I had the lights off all day today as I thought maybe it would help (it didn't:() I have them on now and will leave them on for 3 hours just for the plants!

I also tore apart the biorb and used everything I possible could to seed the cycle... The poor fish are now with only a few pieces of gravel and one old piece of filter media. Would it be safe to transfer them from the die-orb to the Juwel, since most of the BB from there are in it anyways!

This is really bugging me...

I'd move the filter over and the fish.

So I just got home today... Haven't been downstairs to check on the cloudiness but I will soon. First I'm going to net up the 5 Glowlights and then move them, along with the rest of the filter media and sponges containing the good bacteria, to their new mansion! Let's hope all is smooth for my longest fishy friends :)

If there are any 2nd thoughts on moving them, now is he time to say so because once they are gone the DieOrb is becoming a Betta home for my grandmother to care for (I will put the BB full filter media back after 3 days - don't worry, it's cycled!

:) thanks

HELP ME ASAP!

So the fish are in and acclimatized well into the Juwel. They must LOVE all the space they have now. One problem: THE FILTER IVES A WAY TOO STRONG FLOW AND THEY ARE STRUGGLING TO SWIM!!

How do I slow down this Juwel Trigon 190 filter! :(

HELP! Please!

HELP ME ASAP!

So the fish are in and acclimatized well into the Juwel. They must LOVE all the space they have now. One problem: THE FILTER IVES A WAY TOO STRONG FLOW AND THEY ARE STRUGGLING TO SWIM!!

How do I slow down this Juwel Trigon 190 filter! :(

HELP! Please!

Is get a prefilter sponge.

Hey finatics!

So the Glowlights are in for about 30 hours now. They all look very happy and healthy! :) no casualties or anything! They are split up and swim in a group of 3 and two stay on their own. They are obviously enjoying the massive amount of space they finally have for retirement lol!

They still aren't accepting food but I heard it take a while before they do :). They completely ignored the flakes and pellets. I haven't tried bloodworms but they usually didnt accept that anyways!

I plan on doing a PWC (20%) on Sunday. Is that OK?

I then plan on adding 5 Harlequins in 2 weeks and another 5 in another 2 weeks. 2 weeks later will come the Cory's (Panda if I can get them. They look so cute! :)). Then another two more weeks and 5 small tetras (still haven't decided) then another 2 weeks and I will get 5 more to complete that tetra school. Then after 1 month I will get my Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami. Then after 2 more months it will be topped off with 2 pairs of GBR's :) that good?

Thanks so much! :)

PS: I'm so glad I got this tank. You can just see how much happier the Glowies are. They are playing in all the ornaments (but are hiding a bit) and are even split up the school. (I read that they do split when they feel secure and explore on their own. Is this true?)

The T5 lights make their colors look AMAZING and I can't wait to see if they eat bloodworms for that colour!!

Thanks again :)

Gbr pair should be smaller mouthed and bodied than the smallest tetra you have, make sure your cories are in a large group and on the bigger side (I agree panda cories are so absolutely adorable) so you won't have to extract barbs from the gbrs throat or mouth... IMO I wouldn't get a dwarf gourami I would go for a gold or blue gourami or a paradise gourami to mellow the rams out, but that's just me

Some of my favorite small bodied tetra are pristilla, golden xray, blushing xray... You also have the option to go for a school of cherry barb or other small barb (odessa, tbar and honeycomb are good, plus they are a little more likely to stand up to being picked on then tetras, who, in my personal experience, will allow tetra to giant school with them...

Gbr pair should be smaller mouthed and bodied than the smallest tetra you have, make sure your cories are in a large group and on the bigger side (I agree panda cories are so absolutely adorable) so you won't have to extract barbs from the gbrs throat or mouth... IMO I wouldn't get a dwarf gourami I would go for a gold or blue gourami or a paradise gourami to mellow the rams out, but that's just me

Thanks for your reply! You made some good points and I'll have a look at those Gourami at the LFS. I still have plenty of time to decide on that guy so I'm sure you guys can help make the right choice :)

With regards to the Cory's, how many is a good amount to keep? The tank is triangular shaped so it does lose some surface but it still is large. :)

Thanks alot!:)

Some of my favorite small bodied tetra are pristilla, golden xray, blushing xray... You also have the option to go for a school of cherry barb or other small barb (odessa, tbar and honeycomb are good, plus they are a little more likely to stand up to being picked on then tetras, who, in my personal experience, will allow tetra to giant school with them...

Thanks for all the tips! I really appreciate it! :)

*switches to google homepage for more research*

The reason I chose the Tetras is because ever since I was 5 years old I've been OBSESSED with them. I just love how graceful and peaceful they are. I find them so soothing to watch (unlike Zebra Danio which makes me dizzy! Lol)

I will look into the fish you mentioned when I go to the LFS. As I mentioned before, ZA isn't the best for fish keeping and doesn't have much of a variety, but I sure will check!

Thanks again, your advice has been great so far! :)

I would say 5-9, make sure they have a lot of sand to dig and play in and that no plant tabs are uncovered or uncoverable... Learned the hard way when my first clown loaches got big enough to dig to the bottom of their first tank...

I'm all about helping out- if you go the sponsors pages on here there are a lot of places to order, you would have to check with your local government on import laws though

Hey guys, just an update of the tank :)

The Glowies are doing great, I fed them a treat last night of some bloodworms and they gulped that down instantly. It was very cute.

My new problem is the plants :(. I've made the decision to set up a DIY CO2 system as soon as I can get some yeast and bottles. Is this effective? How many bottles would I need? (those 2L Coke bottles). What recipe should I use? Is an air stone fine to release the CO2 in the tank?

Thanks :) I'm really confused with this CO2 stuff and I can't afford to buy a machine as I'm out of pocket spending $1300 on the tank!

Hey guys, just an update of the tank :)

The Glowies are doing great, I fed them a treat last night of some bloodworms and they gulped that down instantly. It was very cute.

My new problem is the plants :(. I've made the decision to set up a DIY CO2 system as soon as I can get some yeast and bottles. Is this effective? How many bottles would I need? (those 2L Coke bottles). What recipe should I use? Is an air stone fine to release the CO2 in the tank?

Thanks :) I'm really confused with this CO2 stuff and I can't afford to buy a machine as I'm out of pocket spending $1300 on the tank!

DIY co2 won't work on tanks that big.

I would get a bottle of metracide 14, dilute it with 1:1 ratio of metracide to distiller water, and dose it 1 ml per 10 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom