50 gallon Tank Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Langemc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got offered a tank supposedly in great shape by a fraternity brother who used to have a snake, the tank is fairly new because he gave away the snake after a short while... i was just curious what do i have to do to make sure the tank is fish ready, or is there no noticible difference b/w the two types of tanks??? how would you go about cleaning it out?

btw for the tank and stand cost 20 dollars... im very excited

55 gallon is a pretty large tank for a reptile cage, so I assume that the previous owner utilized a fishtank for the purpose.

the problem with using most reptile cages sold in stores in fish tanks is that their ability to hold the pressure of the water is less. i.e. the glass isn't as thick as a fish tank would be. I would measure the glass pretty accurately where you can see it at the seal on the side and see if you can find any documentation online about what the requirement would be for a fish tank of that volume.

As far as getting it ready, clean it really well. Left over messes from the reptile that was in there could be problematic in the future. Use of water should be suffice.

HTH

I agree, I have seen reptile tanks for sale, and they are always seperate from the aquariums, and marked as such. But that doesn't mean this isn't a fish tank that had a reptile in it. but how to tell the difference? Perhaps browse around a good local pet store that sells reptiles and fish, notice the differences in the tanks?

I had a chance to buy a 125gal. tank before for $100. I was soooo excited at first because hey, thats a very good deal. I took 1 look at the tank and knew it would litterally explode with the water pressure that would need to be added. Sometimes the good deals are not always the best deals. Make sure you check it carefully and let's hope that it works out for you :D

Back
Top Bottom