50 gallon vs 55 gallons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
what are their dimensions? would a red tailed shark or rainbowshark be ok in a 50 gallon with cockatoo apistos? which is better overall?:thanks: bc im probably buying one tomorrow.

Here are the two dimensions

50 Gallon 36 7/8 x 19 x 19 5/8
55 Gallon 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21

I can't say if an RTS will be ok with the cockatoo apistos .. but I'd say go with the 55 .. gives you a foot of length and 2 inches of height.

I agree; the 55 gallon is better since the shark needs horizontal swimming space. Can't say it'd go well with your apistos though. I think they need the bottom to themselves. Just keep the apistos in the 29, is what I say.

it would have to replace those tanks. maybe i can just leave out the shark. can you go look at my possible 55 gallon tank threaD?

I think you should leave out anything that's on the bottom; haven't we learned this lesson? Haha. Anyway, I'll give it a look.

well yea but i thought the extra space would fix the problem since i read they usually dont have more then a 24inch territory and in that tank that would only leave 6 inches for the corys.

It's true that a standard 55 is a 4-foot tank, but I don't know how much of a difference that'll make, since its depth is rather pitiful. You can try it, but you should have your 29 ready as a backup plan if you decide to.

Back
Top Bottom